1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beloved teams that fell short

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I think the '87 team was more beloved than the '92 team. Started the season 13-0 and 20-3, then lost next 12; actually fell to 41-45 and then finished the season on a 50-26 run; Molitor's 39-game hitting streak. Still referred to as "Team Streak."

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Asiana Air Flight team.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll take the 1995 team over the 1983 one, but like I said, it's close... Those are the two best college teams I've ever seen. I always flash back to Matt Turman taking a knee as so not to run it up any more against Florida in the title game. That was insane.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember that game. It was one hell of a beatdown, but it loses style points since the national title wasn't on the line.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Looking at their stats, their hitting was really poor. Worst in slugging percentage and total bases. Second worst in homers, RBIs, OPS, and steals (with just 27. Pirates had 23, third worst was Philly with 51). Might have been the worst hitting club to make a World Series.

The pitching, on the other hand, was very good.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Oh, and one other team: The Washington Generals.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

1990-1991 Portland Trailblazers. Probably the best bet of that three-year run of Drexler/Kersey/Porter/Duckworth/Buck Williams to win it all. Had the best record in the league that year but struggled throughout the playoffs that year and were upended by Magic and the Lakers in six in the Western Conference finals.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

1988 Jamaican bobsled team

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I will take a strange one and say the 1960 Yankees. Growing up in the Northeast, I knew a lot of people who decades later were still blown away that the Yankees lost that series in such dramatic fashion. Couple that with the fact that Stengal was fired after the series, and it added something a little more semi-tragic to it.

10. sportbook

sportbook Member

1993 Indiana University basketball.

11. I don't know if that '93 IU team was necessarily beloved, but they are undoubtedly my favorite college basketball team to watch play. Cal Cheaney was sooooo good. Henderson going down was a shame.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

1972 Israeli Olympic Team

Trolling is fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.