1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Belmont Stakes: I'll Have Another goes for the Triple Crown *UPDATE--Scratched*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Jun 6, 2012.

1. God forbid someone have an interest in a sport that doesn't involve a bat or a ball beyond just a passing interest. I'm just as disappointed as anyone that I'll Have Another isn't running. That doesn't mean there's still not a race to run and it doesn't mean there are no longer 11 more horses to analyze.

I didn't realize this was the I'll Have Another memorial thread and the only thing to talk about was how screwed NBC is and how much of a bummer the race is for the people who only care 1 to 3 days a year.

Excuse me for trying to bring something else to the table to talk about.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

More power to ya, Chili. Sadly, it's only a race for serious railbirds now.

From a betting standpoint, I think it's far less interesting. The presence of a Triple Crown hopeful makes almost everyone a longshot on the board, and some of the payouts in recent years have been verrrrry juicy.

3. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I'm with you, Chili. It's not going to be quite as interesting since there's no Triple Crown on the line, but there's always compelling storylines. One of the things on my sports bucket list would be to spend a day at the racetrack. Been to the greyhound track a couple of times (and would love to go again), but never been to a horse racing track or a sports book. What can I say, I've led a deprived life.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You have. :D

You'd love it. Horse racing might be one of the most interesting beats out there, in my opinion. So many people, animals, personalities (of people and animals), events, issues and angles involved...

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Seriously. Never been to a horse track? Good lord, boy. :D

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Guess that makes sense. Hadn't thought of that. Given the fact it is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, I figured it would have to be something pretty darn dehabilitating to keep him out.

7. JosephC.Myers

Nope. Never been to a horse track, but would love to. Being a horse racing beat writer would be one of my dream jobs.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Joseph C. where do you live? Many places don't have a track, but if you travel in the U.S., many cities do. Santa Anita is one of the primo things to do in LA, for instance. If you live on the East Coast, take a long weekend in August at Saratoga. If you live in the South, take a long winter weekend in Miami and hit Gulfstream, etc.

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I'm still going today.
    And still betting on Dullahan.
    My silver lining is not wasting $2 on a souvenir bet.

10. JosephC.Myers

I'm down south, so it'd have to be the Florida tracks for me. They'd be closer than anywhere else.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

New Orleans has the Fairgrounds in winter (and of course, then you're in New Orleans!!!). There's the track at Hot Springs in Arkansas. If you're in the mid-South, don't forget Churchill Downs or, best of all as tracks go, Keeneland in Kentucky.

12. JosephC.Myers

I'm in Georgia, so it'd be Fair Grounds (or one of the Louisiana tracks) or Florida for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted