1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Belmont Stakes: I'll Have Another goes for the Triple Crown *UPDATE--Scratched*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I saw a CNBC tweet crediting Rovell. Not sure of the timeline, but I thought that was odd.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Fine. If you don't like Darren Rovell taking credit for others' work, he just won't break any fucking news anymore. We'll see how you like that!

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Well, I just ruined one veteran sports columnist's weekend. Nothing like him having a Belmont advance in the bag and hitting the golf course on Friday to having your golf outing canceled and back to the office to write.

Insert evil laugh here.

4. Sad story indeed. Owners would be fools for letting him run even if there's a hint that there could be a problem. If he runs, breaks down and has to be put down then they're out millions in stud fees.

I think it makes for a more interesting race now. It opens the door for a pretty good payday. Dullahan is clearly the favorite and should probably even have been the betting line favorite before IHA scratched. Horses like Union Rags and Paynter are interesting and I'm even a fan of Unstoppable U to sneak in the top 3.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think it hurts your chance for a nice ticket. That money earmarked for IHA will go elsewhere, driving down the odds on the field.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I think the odds that No One Cares wins this race have just skyrocketed.

7. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Or you could be like Mitch Albom and have the fake column run as is.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'm not who is worse off, NYRA accountants who were salivating at the thought of all that money a crowd of 100,000 would have pushed through the betting windows, or the director of the television broadcast, who has no story to tell and a couple of hours to kill.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Much better to scratch than have him die on the track...though NBC, in its darkest corners, might think otherwise.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Does New York still have tougher doping laws than Kentucky and Maryland?

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

talk about reaching for a silver lining...no foubt horse-racing aficionados can now have a blast analyzing the race THE BELMONT has been ruined. what had shaped up as a potentially huge horsing event and record turnout is vanquished. the belmont's only chace to kick butt and set records is to be the third leg in the potential triple crown rarity. now, the mllions of eyes -- mine included -- that looked forward the thos three minutes tomorrow COULDN'T CARE LESS about the race nor can theyname a single horse in the running....

SNORE.... sheesh, this could almost make a sports fan look forward to game 5 ofthe nflthe cause novices look forward to tomorrow's night's game 5 of the nhl title round...

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Soon, lol.

Draft saved Draft deleted