1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Belmont Stakes/Big Brown/Triple Crown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I tried to explain that to my son, who was mystified that after two great shows Big Brown could just tank.
    I told him: You know how you'll throw the ball like 100 times and your dog will haul ass after it and drop it right at your feet? Then you throw it and she just looks at you with a 'screw dat' expression and goes and lies down? Every now and then, they just don't want to run.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Before Dutrow took his shots at Deesmoreaux, Ray Kerrison in this morning's NY Post found A LOT of horse people at Belmont blaming Kent as well.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06092008/sports/bad_ride_by_jock_114652.htm

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's why I just couldn't root for Big Brown. Dutrow made T.O. and Ocho Cinco look humble leading up to the Belmont, and I firmly believe he would have rather seen Desormeaux run BB to the point of exhaustion and/or death than what actually happened. Desormeaux is one of the finest jocks in America, and this a-hole is second-guessing him like he was an exercise rider. It's disgusting. I hope once BB is put out to stud that Dutrow never saddles another good horse.

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Wow, blaming the jock for losing a big race. That's a new one.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The story in The Post does make some valid points.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The horse turned in a searching, gutwrenching effort in the Derby. Yeah, it looked easy, because he was up against dogmeat, but he did it from the twenty hole, while wide, wider and widest.

Dutrow knew he'd react to it (you all heard him), and babied him to the Preakness, and because that field was of even lesser quality than the Derby's, he got away with it there, too.

This sequence was the textbook example as to why if you have a horse who you feel has a real shot (see: Point Given), you want to try to get away with a horse who's not quite wound up all the way, in the Derby. Billy Turner got away with it, with Slew, because that field was rotten, through and through. But Baffert
    couldn't get away with it, seven years ago, with Point Given . . . who then proceeded to destroy everything in his path in his Preakness and Belmont.
    DESTROY them.

Energy, once expended, is not always available, down the road.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Heed Ben's words, SportsJournalists.com onanists!

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'll go with McCarron's explanation that all of the other jocks knew that BB struggles out of the gate and did a great job of boxing him in. That was the race to me. If he gets an inside post position again in the Travers or Breeders Cup, it will happen again.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Kent had a target on his back, that's certain. No competing jock is going to throw rose petals over a Derby/Preakness winner's path.

Draft saved Draft deleted