1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bellingham (Wash.) Herald dropping printed Saturday edition

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Jun 5, 2019.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Saturdays and Mondays (unless you're an NFL city) are usually the least-read papers, so I can't say this is a shocker.

FileNotFound likes this.
  3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I just read that McClatchy papers in Myrtle Beach and Durham are doing the same thing.

4. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

About the only things you're losing by dropping Saturday is college football previews and high school wrap-ups. And if you're at a paper that already has early deadlines, you've already lost the high school part for print.

One paper that I was at dropped its Saturday edition right in the middle of football season. But since deadline was already 10 p.m. and our staffing was down to next to nothing, we had already given up on getting high school football into Saturday print. I heard a few complaints, but nothing overwhelming since we were still getting scores and stories online.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

At just about any daily, I'd argue for dropping the Monday edition (although in Bellingham, I'm sure they get McClatchy Seahawks coverage).

Take a look at the front pages on Newseum. Unless there's breaking news on a Sunday, the Monday A1s are lukewarm local leftovers mixed with wire filler.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Expansion of weekend papers? Shouldn't this be labeled reduction? Gotta love the positive spin.

fossywriter8 and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I have no specific knowledge of what McClatchy is doing. But first quarter print advertising revenues were down 15% at McClatchy and 17% at Gannett, which is consistent with prior results. I read the transcript of a recent earnings call where the drop in advertising was blamed in part on large advertisers reducing the frequency of ad purchases. Less frequent add purchases are going to lead to less frequent publishing cycles.

I read an article once where a retired publisher was explaining why a move to reduced frequency did not make sense. His argument, to oversimplify, was that if you reduced frequency the paper would have to proportionally reduce the subscription price. I think publishers today would not reduce the subscription price, arguing on-line is available. He also talked about a somewhat proportional drop in advertising revenue. But I think Saturday advertising is down to damn near zero. And many of the items that run, such as obituaries, can wait until Sunday.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I know I posted similar items in the past. But in the first quarter McClatchy reported an operating loss of 41 million dolalrs. This was inflated by some write downs of assets nut total non-cash expenses including the write-offs, depreciation and amortization were 30 million dollars. So the cash burn was about 11 million dollars. The company only has 17 million in cash on hand. I would guess they have some credit lines they could draw upon but it is desperate times for the company.

That is why the stock market cap of the company is less than 20 million dollars.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Our 6-day paper swapped Monday for Saturday a couple of years ago. But it has an early deadline, so no preps — prep news kept on Sunday, as before. No NFL in the fall, but there had been a few trial balloons hoisted beforehand that clued us in to the switch (solid Cowboys country). Everyone gets Sundays off.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

When I worked for M-F pm, Saturday am papers, I always wondered why the Friday wasn't dropped, because of the quick turnaround.

Draft saved Draft deleted