1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Believe Me, It's Torture

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Jeez, guys. Easy with the name calling. Let's have some decorum on this great, anonymous message board of ours.

Idiots. :D

2. So that's where we draw the line, AQB? As long as we aren't beheading and suicide bombing, we're in the clear. Good to know.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

My god - I mean allah, don't want to offend anybody - we have some incredibly ignorant posters around here.

4. I agree.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

We are better than they are. You're right. I shouldn't have made that a conditional.

But we're still not acting like we're better than they are. Instead, we're listening to rationales for torture, rationales that generally go something like "they'd do it to us, so we'd better do it to them."

At some point, the world's good will toward us is going to run out, and we're going to have to start acting like a grownup nation again.

6. That ship's already sailed.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And it's being replaced not with malevolence but with complete indifference. We're perilously close to not mattering anymore. And that's going to be REALLY hard for some people to get used to.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Jamil al-Banna was arrested on the well-known battlefield called Banjul Airport in Gambia. He was released from Guantanamo in December without being charged and deemed by the U.S. to "pose no threat."

Jose Padilla -- a U.S. citizen, by the way, even if he was convicted of conspiracy charges -- was arrested on that well-known battlefield called O'Hare Airport in Chicago. He was detained without being charged for nearly five years by our government before finally being sentenced in January.

Battlefield? Yeah, not so much. ::)

But hey, fuck those guys. We're the Americans.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Well, they didn't behead him, and he wasn't a journalist, but we have tortured to death innocent taxi drivers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilawar_%28human_rights_victim%29

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That's a complete fucking joke. Possibly the most clueless statement ever uttered -- or typed -- on this website.

11. Oh, we'll always matter, but in the way Robert Downey Jr.'s character mattered to James Spader's pimp in the movie version of "Less Than Zero." Once we've proven our economy can not pay back the money we owe to all of the countries we've borrowed from, we'll be paying it back with every last shred of dignity we have, piece by piece, until they own us completely.

I don't know if that makes any sense but it sounded good. :p

12. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

That post reads like some of the wimpy shit (can we say shit?) some of you were bitching about on the little league thread about 12 year olds not having all-stars. But a hell of a lot more damaging in the long run. Let's be sensible, please.

Draft saved Draft deleted