1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Believe Me, It's Torture

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Jul 2, 2008.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

To be honest with you, I don't care if it is.

2. Torture is OK with you?
    Are we not the good guys?
    Don't we believe in due process, not just beating the shit out of those "accused" of things?
    Remind me again what makes our country great, Tony, because I think you've forgotten.

3. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Why is this even being discussed? Or do the majority here still believe that those Abu-Gharib pictured depicted heinous crimes against humanity? If so, never mind. The thought process is clear, though INSANE!!!

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yeah, we believe in due process for our own citizens.

For terrorists caught on the battle field trying to kill our soldiers? Not so much.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yeah because that's exactly the treatment we want our captured soldiers and citizens to endure right?

6. Who determined they are terrorists? Not a court.
    What about the AMERICAN CITIZENS they have locked up and declared terrorists, denying THEM due process?
    Your side is always talking about slippery slopes, Tony. You don't see this one?
    How about this -- would you want Bill Clinton/Hillary Clinton/Barack Obama/Al Gore/John Kerry/Ted Kennedy/etc. to have the authority to torture those simply accused of being terrorists?

7. What does this even mean?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Give me a fucking break. You have to be an idiot of the highest order if you believe the fucking animals we're fighting are going to treat our people any better if we start playing nice with the ones we catch.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You know, forget all the conversation about whether it's right or wrong. The torture program we've been using is taken, word for word, from Cold War-era training techniques used to make sure our soldiers didn't buckle under. Those techniques were widely proven to have extracted false confessions from those subjected to them.

So, why exactly is it that we favor using torture? The party line is because it gives us vital information that saves lives. Having proven that incorrect, we're left with what I think is the actual truth: Because it makes us feel better.

And that is pathetic beyond comprehension.

And for what I'm sure only feels like the 7,000th time: Those we have rounded up are <b> suspected </b> terrorists, many of whom have subsequently proven to have had no actual connection to terrorism other than being the same color as terrorists. So what you're really saying here is "as long as they're brown foreigners, we're allowed to do whatever we want."

10. Wow. You're really not smart enough to see the world is watching how we treat these "enemy combatants?" You really think how we treat them won't have any effect on how others -- not "the terrorists" but the entire world -- treat our soldiers and citizens?

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

That's not the fucking point, you idiot. The point is we're supposed to be better than they are. We should start acting like it once in a while.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You doucehbag we are better than they are. Anyone who thinks we aren't is out of their fucking mind.

Or did I miss our latest beheading of an innocent Middle Eastern journalist? How many is that for us now? I'm having hard time keeping up with that and all of our suicide bombers...

Fucking idiot.

Draft saved Draft deleted