1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Believe it or not, this isn't about Chef: A man is pregnant

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Mar 26, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

It tastes like fail.

And it comes with a free condom, just to mock Mikey.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Nice. Can't forget the packaging ... shaped like a box of Kleenex.

3. And, of course, they make it so you can't get inside the box.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Shhh, didn't you hear? We're not allowed to make these jokes anymore. They've been declared not funny.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's outstanding.

If it's OK with the rest of you, I'd like to add my thoughts on this little poll, since it has a tiny bit to do with me. ...

For the record, I love to laugh at myself, and the joke can still be funny -- if it's creative. Sometimes it's way overdone, and other times, it seems fresh. It's all about the punchline. Like the line above; that's funny as hell. If anyone doesn't laugh at that, they're just made of stone or have bottled up so much disdain for me over the last couple months that they're immune to its hilarity.

And, while we're nearing the subject, I was pretty mad at that "Retire Mikey's Jersey" thread posted a few days ago; not at Football_Bat because I feel honored he pays any attention and devotes any of his wasted time in my direction. It wasn't just that people were ripping on me with malice (at least it read that way). It was more because in my 13,540-plus posts, two -- maybe three -- of them have been disparaging toward someone else. And let me publicly apologize to Rambo for one of them. Love, like or hate the joke, I don't care. But malicious, personal attacks had no place there -- and on a couple other threads that day, too.

Sometimes this place becomes way too serious. And I've said it plenty of times before: If a joke at my expense can release some tension, then good. I'll be the punching bag if it can deflect from other stupidity on the board or make someone crack a smile. I can take a joke. I'm 25. I'm almost a man.

But sometimes it does get old, and I've said that on a few occasions here, though a few words aren't going to stop people from typing what they want to post. I'm not going to go back through my thousands of posts since I made this comment, but I think it was in January. Slappy mentioned something about being sick of every thread having the "Mikey joke" on it, and I said, "For the record, I agree." And, IJAG, I believe it was that day or the day before when I told you it was getting to be a little burden. And I stopped bringing up the subject for the most part. With the exception of in my 10,000th post when I said, "A lot can be done with a love of '90s sitcoms, a lack of life and with sex pretty much out of the question. Of course, that’s certainly not a path I’d recommend. ..." -- on Jan. 29 -- I don't remember the last time I brought up my current struggle (if you even want to call it that). Maybe I'm wrong about that; it's happened at least a time or two before.

Have I mentioned it in the last two months? Of course I have. And I'll tell you why. If someone quotes something of mine and takes a friendly dig at me, I consider it rude not to respond. I don't want F_T, let's say, to feel like a toolbox, like he hurt my feelings, because I didn't respond to him. I like him too much to make him feel like a jerk. The same goes with Friend, Chef, BYH, Arnold, Trey and anyone else on this board. I respect all of you guys and gals, and I don't want anyone to feel the way I did a few days ago. And if it's funny, what's the harm in laughing?

I like this site because, among a countless amount of other things, it allows me to blow off steam, bounce ideas off peers and exchange stories with people I find incredibly interesting. I've never made an age joke to spnited, in part because I'm I really do respect him too much, or an 8-second joke to BYH, in part because I don't know its origin (though I'm sure I could figure it out), or gotten all up-in-arms at an ignorant or stupid post because there are enough people doing those things. No one needs another idiot piling onto the mess.

In closing, I don't apologize for opening that part of my life up to you guys; I feel I'm closer to each one of you and have gotten to know plenty of you on a deeper level partly because of it. I never thought a minor detail -- and it is minor, to me -- of my life would be blown so far out of proportion and in turn enrage so many fine folks on this good board. For that, I'm sorry.

Thanks for reading. I'm going to post a couple songs, flip on Scrubs and go to bed.

By the way, BYH: When I do create my cereal, I'm splitting the profits with you. Coming up with the name is the hardest part.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Have limericks been over done yet?

Mon said, "Dad, don't be a prick."
    Make me a baby real quick.
    You're a man, well, just kinda.
    We'll just use your vagina.
    There's a use for a chick with a dick.

I will now climb to higher ground and brace myself for a tsunami of haiku.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. That, and I find Yawn's and zagoshe's blatant flamebait against liberals far, far more irritating than the 10,000th Mikey joke in the last five minutes.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Hear hear.

And BYH is a dickhead.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I just read Mikey's lengthy post about the jokes. Well done.

Look, I can understand how people are irritated over the joke being a seeming constant on the board. Nine times out of 10, it's not done with anything other than an intent to get a quick laugh. There's no harm in it.

There are things that I find far more harmful on this board that seemingly get a free pass. That's what burns me up about this place, especially when there seems to be a double standard at work here.

Unlike Mike, I have posted disparagingly on this board, more than I care to admit. Most of the time, I'll go right in and delete the post. Sometimes, it's been deserved. Sometimes, it hasn't. It's not something I want to make a habit of. It's why I have certain people on ignore, so my blood doesn't boil. Life's too bloody short.

Oh, and for the record Mike, my Paul McCartney line was intended to be a joke, not malicious. One reason I stopped reading that thread was because I saw that thread get malicious.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Thanks for the shout-out, Mikey. I continue to marvel at your posting prowess, sex or no sex. In fact, I dread the day you get laid by sixteen vestal virgins, because that will be the day Webby's server explodes from you bragging about it.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

OK, now see, that was fucking funny, I don't care how many times the joke has been made. :D

12. Thankee. I was afraid that got lost in the mix.

Draft saved Draft deleted