1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Belichick a Football Life - NFL Network

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Sep 26, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Did a quick search and did not see any references to this. I've watched about 50% of Pt. 1 and 50% Pt. 2. While he's not my favorite guy, the access to the Pats in 2009 was fascinating. Has the sideline quips that you rarely see (like the old Hank Stram ones on NFL Films) and video of the team and coaches mtgs. that you never see. I give Belichick credit for always taking responsibility for the missteps, at least from what I see.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Watched it last week, and also found it fascinating. I'm sure the editing made it seem more so, but Belichick always seemed to anticipate every major calamity before it happened (such as Welker's injury, or what the backlash would be on the fourth down call against Indianapolis).

And while I don't like Belichick's demeanor with the media, I've always appreciated his respect for the game and its history. I first noticed that during his segments on the AFL history miniseries (Full Color Football) that ran on Showtime a few years ago, and got an even better sense of it with this film.

By the way, this is going to be a series on NFL Network. The next one, which airs Thursday, is on Jerome Brown and Reggie White.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

It's funny that you bring up the media. I had a conversation with one of my writers about it yesterday, and he agrees with you. But I just think he doesn't want to give away a damn thing. That part in the doc about Welker, and that media member was really, really drilling him with the same question, over and over and over, and Belichick wasn't biting.

Just because he doesn't give you what you want on a silver platter doesn't mean his "demeanor" is a bad one. He answers questions the same - after a win or after a loss - with the least amount of information possible. That's just the way he is.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he's a dick when he doesn't need to be. I can understand not wanting to give away info that might give your opponent a competitive advantage, but Welker was out for the season and everyone knew it. It wouldn't have killed Belichick to gave a pat "Wes is a great player and we're really going to miss him in the playoffs"-type answer and then move on.

But I don't want to make this thread about Belichick's dealings with the media. It was just a throwaway comment in the midst of praising the film, which I thought was really outstanding.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Some reporter wasted half the postgame presser yesterday demanding to know what he was so demonstrative about down at the 1 in the final two minutes. He said he was just calling timeout (obvious bullshit), but this guy just kept on and on, like he wanted to trigger an explosion. Thankfully, Hoodie didn't give him the satisfaction.
    Move on, pal.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I loved the stuff with Kraft, who looked bombed in every scene. Hoodie looked like he could barely tolerate the owner, who appears to wear a blue shirt with a white collar and cuffs at all times.

I'm surprised that the whole thing was only 2 hours, given the amount of film which they must have.

Also, I'm sure clearing the final cut with Hoodie was probably like having the NSA review a book before publication.

7. Situation

Situation Member

I loved when Hoodie told Derrick Mason to shut the fuck up and look at the scoreboard. That was hilarious. I also enjoyed the awkward interactions with Kraft.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Finished this last night and there was a great sequence where the Pats are on the verge of clinching the division, up 35-0 on the Jags, and they show a ground level shot of the Pats secondary and linebackers dancing. The Jags march down and score.

Cut to a Pats sideline shot that is not focused on anyone but you hear someone shouting something along the lines "WE DO NOT EVER DANCE AROUND LIKE SOME PUNKS ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD...." Then Hoodie appears.

Draft saved Draft deleted