1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Belicheat unsure of fellow cheater Human Hormone Harrison's status for Sunday

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Re: Belicheat mum on returning fellow cheater Harrison's status for Sunday

Rokski......do you think the Patriots are still "cheating" this year?

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I don't know, and I'm not sure how anyone could say with any confidence that he/she knows, either.

That's the quandary which Belicheat's stonewalling and the league's ill-advised destruction of evidence has left us in. As Easterbrook's outstanding TMQB from last week explained, there seems to have been at least a 72-hour gap from when the league asked for the evidence (tapes, notes, etc) and when the Pats' and the Savant of Sin complied.

Think it takes 72 hours to run to Kinko's and do some mass copying?

Everyone is innocent until proven guilty. Until they're proven guilty. And then they refuse to talk about their guilt. And the 'judge' destroys the evidence.

After that, all presumptions of innocence are off. It's up to the 'perp' to demonstrate his complete contrition, explanation and extent of his transgressions, and demonstrate his 'changing of ways.'

Exhibit A: Mike Vick doing the PETA class this week.

Belicheat has done none of that. Zip. He apologized to his own organization, and that's it, as far as I know. And most of the media is giving him a pass, like it's ok or something.

Uh-uh.

And as Cheating Rodney Harrison comes back to the team following his 4-game suspension, it makes you wonder: Damn, how deep is this mess? Is there anything this team won't do?

I used to like the Pats, but now I can't watch them without thinking "When will we know the extent of the crimes which this organization committed against the league, the other coaches and players, and to the fans?" I'm sure it will come out eventually, but in the meantime I'm feeling like a Suns fan who realized Donaghy was reffing one of his favorite team's games.

3. IU90

IU90 Member

Hate to dissappoint you, Roksi, but the rest of the world is moving on from the Belicheck scandal. You seem to have an obsession with this story and think we should too. Sorry, but its becoming old news whether you think it should or not.

Which is not to say you haven't made some valid points. Did Belichick get off light? Yeah probably, especially comparable to punishments Goodell's given players and Wade Wilson. Should the league have destroyed all the confiscated evidence without ever disclosing what was on it? NO, that looked suspicious as hell. And was this shit going on for years? Yeah, sounds like it was. You're right about all that.

But, you've ALREADY said it over and over. What's left to be discussed? It's done, there are no more punishments coming down. Don't you think it might time to move your obsessive nature on to a fresher story?

4. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Very nicely written.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, Ryan Tucker returns to the Browns following his four-week suspension for steroid use. He practiced with the team yesterday. He might very well play against the Patriots this weekend. And no one says a word.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Spoken as a true fanboy, IU90. Very well-done, indeed.

Of course, as a journalist who might care about getting to the bottom of a story, it was very poorly done. As I'm sure you are well aware.

The other ostriches starting with Simmons are waiting for you, IU90. The rest of us who care about getting to the bottom of this stench-ridden fraudulence continue our investigations.

Thank goodness you don't occupy Easterbrook's, Dr.Z's, or even Peter King's chairs.

Again, for those in the audience who can't read or who don't seem to grasp what I'm saying:

This scandal continues because Belicheat and the NFL allow it to continue. I did not choose to create this scandal, Coach Corrupt did.

And he can end it, anytime he wants to. This league-debasing episode continues because Belicheat selfishly allows it to. As long as he remains silent and as the Pats' head coach, it will continue to drag on. This is Belicheat's, Bob Kraft's and the NFL's responsibility.

Don't shoot the messenger, IU.

Particulary with your Cheatriot gun.

If you want this to stop, tell Belicheat. Or Kraft. Or Goodell. I can't help you on that score, except by proceeding with my attempts -- and lauding the attempts of other journalists and reporters, ones who do Mark and Lance proud -- at arriving at the whole truth of the matter.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Shawne Merriman is also still in the league, and featuring in Nike commercials.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

A job? Life? Girlfriend? Read a book? Cat, dog?

Soemthing?

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

also made the Pro-Bowl the same season he was suspended for using PED's.......

RokSki..you do understand that every NFL team is permitted 2 of their own cameras each game for their own tape of the game, each team tries to decipher their opponents signals, and every team has reels and reels of game tape of their opponents. Some teams even buy game tapes of audio of the QB......just like Miami did last year, against the Patriots.....they knew his audibles because the Defense had been watching it all week, and they won 21-0.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ashy, I never interact with you, but I like your persona on the board. Behind that screen name, you may also be the nicest, most patient man to ever walk the earth.

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I don't totally agree with the take on Ryan Tucker. But certainly on Merriman. At least the league made a Merriman rule for the Pro Bowl, if nothing else.

But, again, there is a difference here. We know the extent of the crimes of Merriman and Tucker, and they had to at least discuss their situations to some extent. Ok, Merriman BS'd (IMO) about his 'tainted supplement,' but at least he came up with some explanation for the media.

Belicheat has not come up with anything I'm aware of but his 'I interpreted the rule differently' joke of an excuse. Um, if you think the NFL wasn't clear about what it meant by the rule, Mr. Cheat, do you really think it would have sent that memo out last September? Right.

So not only has Belicheat not come up with any type of explanation for his actions in light of the league basically saying 'yeah, that 'different interpretation' junk you tried? Not having it,' we don't know the extent of the infractions because he won't talk about it and the league destroyed the evidence.

Unless the league has destroyed the records of Merriman's and Tucker's violations, we're not talking apples-to-apples here. I know what Tucker and Merriman did. Heck, I know what Cheating Rodney Harrison did, at least to some degree.

I have no idea the extent or the number of times the Savant of Sin broke NFL bylaws. I know it's multiple times, because the league says so. But I don't know how many, when, what was entailed, etc. about those instances of illegality. Again, we're talking about Super Bowls here. This isn't the Detroit Lions. As Mike Vick merited more scrutiny because of his prominent position, so does Coach Corrupt and The Cheatriots.

As this is let go, each day brings a larger number of NFL fans who believe the NFL to be the football equivalent of Donaghy's NBA. I don't want to see that happen.

Oh, and on Harrison. Here's something we don't fully know and which needs followed-up on: Was he using in the Super Bowl, as the timeline seems to suggest he may well have been?

We're talking about the NFL's possible version of Enron here in the Cheatriots -- a possible "Culture of Corruption" scenario which Harrison's return only helps to remind fans. That's not something I consider trivial. Nobody much cares about Tucker (which does not excuse his cheating). More people care about Merriman. Even more care about Vick.

Everyone cares about the Pats. They're the recent dynasty. They're undefeated, and look to be the league's best team.

If you like the NFL, you can't not care about them.

And as such a would-be NFL standard-bearer, that position places them under a uniquely-bright focus.

And Belicheat remains silent, dodging. Like Nixon in the early days of Watergate.

As we wait to hear the whole truth.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't read his posts anymore, just the responses. But I have to admit the bolded words were annoying the hell out of me. Of course, being the positive person I am, I just had an idea for how to actually make this fun. We can play madlibs. Just remove the bolded words and add blanks... Anyone want to give it a try?

I don't totally agree with the take on -------------. But certainly on Merriman. At least the league made a ------------- rule for the Pro Bowl, if nothing else.

But, again, there is a difference here. We know the extent of the crimes of Merriman and Tucker, and they had to at least discuss their situations to some extent. Ok, Merriman BS'd (IMO) about his 'tainted supplement,' but at least he came up with some explanation for the media.

------------- has not come up with anything I'm aware of but his 'I interpreted the rule differently' joke of an excuse. Um, if you think the NFL wasn't clear about what it meant by the rule, -------------, do you really think it would have sent that memo out last September? Right.

So not only has Belicheat not come up with any type of explanation for his actions in light of the league basically saying 'yeah, that 'different interpretation' junk you tried? Not having it,' we don't know the extent of the infractions because he won't talk about it and the league destroyed the evidence.

Unless the league has destroyed the records of Merriman's and Tucker's violations, we're not talking apples-to-apples here. I know what Tucker and Merriman did. Heck, I know what ------------- did, at least to some degree.

I have no idea the extent or the number of times the ------------- broke NFL bylaws. I know it's multiple times, because the league says so. But I don't know how many, when, what was entailed, etc. about those instances of illegality. Again, we're talking about ------------- here. This isn't the -------------. As Mike Vick merited more scrutiny because of his prominent position, so does Coach Corrupt and -------------.

If this is let go, day by day, the NFL is regarded as -------------'s NBA. I don't want to see that happen.

Oh, and on Harrison. Here's something we don't fully know and which needs followed-up on: Was he using in the Super Bowl, as the timeline seems to suggest he may well have been?

We're talking about the NFL's possible version of ------------- here in the Cheatriots -- a possible "-------------" scenario which Harrison's return only helps to remind fans. That's not something I consider trivial. Nobody much cares about Tucker (which does not excuse his cheating). More people care about Merriman. Even more care about Vick.

Everyone cares about the Pats. They're the recent dynasty. They're undefeated, and look to be the league's best team.

If you like the NFL, you can't not care about them.

And as such a would-be NFL standard-bearer, that position places them under a uniquely-bright focus.

And Belicheat remains silent, dodging. Like ------------- in the early days of -------------.

As we wait to hear the whole truth.

Draft saved Draft deleted