1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Belgian bodybuilding competition cancelled after competitors flee drug testing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, May 18, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

:D ;D

And you were surprised ... why, exactly?<blockquote>BRUSSELS -- The Belgian bodybuilding championship has been canceled after doping officials showed up and all the competitors fled.

A doping official says bodybuilders just grabbed their gear and ran off when he came into the room. …

Twenty bodybuilders were entered in the weekend competition. …

During testing of bodybuilding events last year, doping authorities of northern Belgium's Flanders region found that three-quarters of the competitors tested positive.</blockquote>http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=4175375&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_4175375

No, it's not a sport¹ ... but the mental picture of this alone cracks me up.

¹Which would be news to the assigning editor who gave me a state bodybuilding "competition" as my first post-college byline.

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

That is a superb lede. I am still laughing.

3. Man, I wish I were born Belgian so I could show up at the next competition and claim my trophy when all the juiceheads run away.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I've competed in a few powerlifting meets within the last six months. One of the federations in which I competed does not drug test. Many federations don't and I have no doubt that God only knows what many of the lifters are using.
    I remember hearing Adam Carrola talking about going into a bar in Florida, announcing you're a US Marshall and you have a warrant for somebody.
    I imagine you could do a similar comedy event at one of those meets, going in and saying you're with the DEA.
    Of course, you'd probably get killed.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

We actually had to fight off the news desk to get this one.

Of course, if 22 of 29 competitors tested positive over the course of the year, it only makes sense to follow them around — just in case.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"You only cover us when we run away from a bodybuilding competition!"

And it's true. We wouldn't have run any story in our paper otherwise. Who cares about a Belgian bodybuilding competition?

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Stupid Flanders.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

[​IMG]

Unavailable for comment.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I laughed out loud at that...

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

of course...

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/69904/

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I bitched about that already. Fucked up slug that doesn't tell you what the hell he's talking about ... and as somebody else pointed out, <i>Belgium and Bulgaria are on opposite sides of Europe from each other!</i>

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I always thought we were alphabetically ordered.

Draft saved Draft deleted