1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being Scared

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I grew up in the country. My house was down a quarter-mile long driveway, surrounded by woods, pasture, and interstate. The nearest house was my grandfather's several hundred yards away. When I was a teenager in high school I would stay there by myself quite a bit. Sometimes I had friends over and they would be pretty spooked by the setting -- odd, unexplainable noises, rustling in the bushes, lights off in the distance, etc. -- but I usually wasn't bothered by it.

For the past 15 years, though, I've lived exclusively in more populated areas: apartments, neighborhoods, and townhomes. I definitely prefer living in the city. City noises don't really bother me. I feel more comfortable knowing there are people all around me.

For several nights over the past couple of weeks, though, I have been staying out at a house in the country. It's a long story, but I'm staying out there to watch over a place that the previous occupant has been ordered out of, and was ordered to leave everything except bare essentials behind, which he has done. He's not known to be a violent fellow, but he has done some rotten deeds and I have reason to believe he might inebriate himself from time to time.

Making matters worse, there is no television, no telephone service (coming soon), Internet (coming soon), and my cell phone gets no signal except at the top of the driveway about a quarter mile up. All things considered, I get kinda scared when I stay there by myself at nights. Would you be?

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If you don't repost in a few days we will send a newbie out to look for you.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Make it Mrbio. He can ask him a bunch of wholly unique and personal questions, and then post the Q&A here.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Scoreboard!

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm so excited...I'm so scared!

6. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

If you really grew up in the country, then you would realize how paranoid you are acting.

If it's this bad, just get a dog. Not a mean one -- just one that will bark if something happens. That should ease your troubled mind.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"The suspense is terrible ... I hope it will last."

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Obviously, since I'm on the web, I'm not out there tonight. I decided to haul it into town at sundown after being there all weekend. Internet is supposed to be hooked up this week which will make it better. I think there's about a 98% chance of nothing happening, but what kinda had me worried is that if something were to happen I am unarmed and unable to communicate with anyone in any way.

Plus, as I was locking the gate to be in for the night last night I saw some shadowy figure rapidly approaching me; scared the shit out of me. Turned out that a kid on a bike had saw my car drive in and he followed to see what was going on. I don't think he was expecting me to be outside the car locking the gate, though, because when he got close enough to realize I was there -- and just seconds before my heart jumped out of my chest because I wasn't sure who or what was there -- he slammed on the brakes and hauled ass back toward his house.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Nice.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Sounds like the start of a good book or movie.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I live in the country. Doesn't bother me a bit.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You know, if we don't watch out for each other, who will?
    Didn't we go through this once before. You remember what happened then??
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/41946/

Draft saved Draft deleted