1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being looked at as sports fountains of knowledge

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDub, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If most of us got only a small slice of the bar bets we settle on the phone, we could actually afford decent lives. Some publishers and newspaper execs would probably want in on the action.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Fun game: When they call asking which of two propositions is true, tell the first guy one thing and then, when he puts his buddy on the phone, tell him the other.

3. "Why's he calling me Meat when I'm the one driving a Porsche?"

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Gotta love those guys who call from the bar to settle a bet. Of course, you put them on hold for 10-15 minutes and they're still there when you return. Amazing.

Bars should have internet access

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

It can be annoying, but take it as a compliment. Plus, it's human nature to try to find common ground. People assume you're a huge sports buff, which we all are in a way, but in a much more level-headed way that others have trouble relating to.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I love it too when they call and say "Hey Sports?" as if that's my name.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I love it when somebody asks my opinion about something and although I'm reluctant to do so, I share my thoughts. Then they proceed to tell me I'm wrong. I want to say, "Well, then why the hell did you ask me? So you could argue with me? Go away."

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Isn't it?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've got the perfect answer to all the questions:

"I don't give a shit."

;)

10. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

Pop a Top in Yuma, Ariz., had a computer just for that reason. They had too many near bar fights because of B.S. sports bets.

Owner didn't want to throw the guys out because he needed the money. Bought a computer and .... rest is history.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Why can't it be both?

A metaphor, good or bad, is of the person's choosing. If he wanted to say "a burrito of knowledge," who'd care? :p

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

My friends call me Scoop, which is annoying as fuck. I think you know why.

Draft saved Draft deleted