1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being homesick

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jakewriter82, May 30, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

give the little woman a hug for me. that is an awesome answer.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Pull a bat, I hit a ball up

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Buck, go get your dog and bring it home.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Bing. Go. Bing-freaking-go. Home is what you make of it. It can be a warm, happy place, or -- if you're like others around here -- it's a place for your stuff.

Appreciating one's new digs and not just letting it blend into the background of a job is tough. That's always been a problem for me, and if I can't do that here, I can't do it anywhere.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it does help to choose the place where you lay your head. a lotta folks let a job dictate where they call home.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Home is not a place; it's a feeling you get around the people you care for -- regardless of where they are.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

It is an underrated luxury. Hopefully we all have the ability to do that at some point.

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

This reminds me of a great scene from "Almost Famous" when they're riding the bus in the "Tiny Dancer" scene. William turns to Penny Lane and says, "I have to go home." She replies: "You are home."

Had my first job in a town I thought I hated and did everything I could to get away from, but somehow kept coming back. Turned out it was better than I realized and I'll be buried here someday. My family all thinks I'm nuts and I think that makes me love this place even more.

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I haven't spent more than a day or two at a time back at the little outhouse on the prairie where I attended high school for more than 20 years. The last time I did more than drive through on the way to some other town was a class reunion nearly two years ago.

Way back when, the place had about 6,000 people and the high school had roughly 500 kids (my class graduated 105, the largest of the past 50 years). Now, the population is closer to 4,000 and the high school has a little more than 400 kids.

None of my immediate family has lived there in 17 or 18 years and I haven't even tried to keep up with any of my classmates. I have a high enough profile because of my job that anyone can find me without any trouble. I've never been contacted by any of them, even when I've done stories on their kids.

Even now, I have a hard time thinking of it as "my hometown," even though I'll go watch the football team when my work schedule allows (fewer than a dozen games in the last 17 years). It was merely where my parents lived while I was in junior high and high school.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Those are me, too, perfectly. My grandma always asks me, "When are you coming home?" I say, "Oh, about 10-15 minutes." "No," she says "I mean when are you coming to ***, wise guy."

But I left "home" for a lot of reasons -- mainly work, but mostly my family situation. I was kicked out of my house, and with all my friends still in school or living with their parents, I decided it was best to take a job out of the state -- leaving the hometown paper, which was five times the size of my new one. It was the greatest move I've ever made on the whole; I love where I am now -- two papers and cities later -- but, for me and my state of mind, it was a priceless move.

Now, and since the fall of 2005, home is where my bed is. My parents and I didn't start talking regularly again until last May, and that's mainly because of something near-tragic happening. So I never felt comfortable going back to my hometown. I didn't have a bed in my old house -- and still don't, so I sleep at my sister's -- and I didn't have a friend in the house.

I don't mind going back to the town; though it's a haul getting there. But it hasn't been my home since 2005, and I always felt more welcome at college, so I'd get there early and stay late. I don't get homesick, although I love and miss my niece and nephew very, very much, and they always make it difficult to leave. (Have you ever tried removing a 3-year-old girl off your leg?) I do miss the pizza joints and the regular bar. But my friends don't live there -- all but one, and we don't talk much anymore -- and my first ex-girlfriend still lives there. That's enough of a reason to keep me out until Christmas and family birthdays.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

First, for palindromes, check out the lyics to Weird Al's song "Bob" I'd quote some of them, but it would've been most hanus plaigerism.

As for homesickness, there's some good advice on here. I had it bad.... very bad, when I was a kid. Went to scout camp for a few years, and dreaded it early on.

I haven't lived in KC since I left for college. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Plenty of peripherial stuff has changed. But luckily for me, the things that make it special for me haven't changed.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The palindrome of Bolton is Notlob.

Draft saved Draft deleted