1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being homesick

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jakewriter82, May 30, 2008.

1. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

About 36,000 people. So pretty small. Oh I remember the reasons I left, and why I could never live there for a long time....but it'd be nice to visit and soak it all in for a little while.
    I had a weird dream the other night where I was visiting my alma mater's new journalism building, in the same state as my hometown, seeing the library, then the whole campus and I saw and talked to people I hadn't in years. Since then it's been a somewhat recurring thing.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i am home. my parents still live in *****.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Huh?

4. racecar

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jake - i went through a bit of that before i let go of where i grew up. i think that's normal.

i also think you have to love where you're at (living) before you can completely let go of those feelings.

take some time. go back "home" and take a good look around. i think you'll come to realize it's not nearly as wonderful as you remember.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

"Son I am able," she said "though you scare me." "Watch," said I "Beloved," I said "watch me scare you though." said she, "Able am I, Son."

7. nun

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Wow.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm always homesick, until I spend a week at home. Then I'm happy to get back to where I live, until about a week later when I get homesick. Vicious cycle.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

My sentiments exactly. :D

"Home," to me, is where I am now -- 2,500 miles away from where I grew up. I realize it's my real home because every time I go back to my hometown, I'm ready to leave after about three days.

But I do get homesick, in a way. I don't miss that town, but I do miss some people there. Namely, my mom. My sister and her fiance. My brother. My best friend from high school (and her mom, who was like my second mom.) ... And, most of all, my dog.

If it's people you miss, jake, get in touch with them. Whenever I miss my mom, I call her up and it usually soothes that feeling for a week, then I call her again. ... Have them send stuff to you, so you can get a little taste of home, too.

But the world's a big place, and your hometown isn't always the best place to be. Dive into your new town and see if you like it. If you don't, you can always go somewhere else.

11. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Live not on evil.

12. The missus gets aggravated whenever her mom asks, "When are you coming home?"

She always replies, "I am home."

Draft saved Draft deleted