1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being homesick

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jakewriter82, May 30, 2008.

1. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Is a lovely feeling to have. :p
    It's my own damn fault, I went to check the news of my hometown paper's web site, and now I'm really wishing I were there after talking to my brother.

It's been close to a year since I've been back, and well, it's not bad when your mind is on other things. But when you think of home, being back there, seeing all the little changes and being with the people close to you, it's no fun.
    The lesson there, I guess, is to not think about it.
    But in my opinion there's not a greater feeling in the world coming back home after a long time.

At least it's warmer outside here, I suppose.

2. Find a girlfriend. The feeling will go away.

3. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

That's a great idea. :)

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

how big is your burg?

5. I've never had any complaints.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i never was all that bummed about leaving the shithole in which i grew up.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I miss the simple things like not having to wait for weekends to talk to my folks for free. Or being able to just go do dinner. Or seeing my brother's new place with his girlfriend.

I never thought I would, but I miss my folks' place.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with thinking about it, jw, as long as you don't dwell on it. It also helps if you remember all the reasons you left home in the first place. Family members get on your nerves after a while, the town of your youth yields to the inexorable march of time, etc.

Of course, I'm in much the same boat as Tomas. After 11 years, I'd had enough of Nowheresville. It helps when your family scatters during your absence.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

You make it sound so simple. :)

========

EDIT: Palindrome!

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

mine's still there. nice to have a several-hour buffer in between, though.

i'm close enough to make a roadie ... not close enough to drop by. that's a good distance.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The furthest I've lived from home was two hours. Close enough to drive home when I wanted to, too close because my family got on my nerves at times.

12. The place I grew up has changed so much since I left, it feels odd going home.

Draft saved Draft deleted