1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

being forced out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FTP_FDF, Mar 27, 2012.

1. FTP_FDF

FTP_FDF New Member

Hi, new member here...just found this place.

Anyway, I just found out that my job as sports editor is being eliminated "as a cost saving measure"...They are going to leave the sports coverage to a part-timer, who to be kind, struggles with writing. Meanwhile, while I still have a job, it's back where I started on the news beat...

Needless to say, I'm pretty disgusted with the whole thing, but what can I do? It's not like I can go without a paycheck (surprise, surprise, working at a newspaper hasn't made me rich). I've had an interview with another place, but I have no idea where that is going to go, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Anyway, just needed to vent....anyone else have the same problem?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Bit confused by your post. So you're still employed by the paper, but you're no longer the sports editor?

3. FTP_FDF

FTP_FDF New Member

Yes...still here, just being moved into a job I really don't want....

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sure it doesn't feel like it today, but you are one of the lucky ones in that you still have a job, even if it's not the one you want.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd say it buys you some time to send out your resume.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Hate to sound trite, but, nowadays in any industry, a job's a job ...

EDIT: Baron and Mizzou beat me to it, but it's still good advice.

7. FTP_FDF

FTP_FDF New Member

No, it isn't trite--it is good advice. I am happy to have a job. But it's really hard to see something that I've worked so hard to build up into something good being taken away and feeling like all that work just didn't matter.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You have a right to be upset, but these days you just need a little perspective.

The old cliche that it's easier to find a job when you have a job is very, very true.

9. FTP_FDF

FTP_FDF New Member

Yeah--that's what my wife keeps saying (thankfully she makes the big $$$). And I do have a good prospect out there, just waiting to see about a second interview

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

First thing to remember ... and I struggle with this too at times ... is that it's not personal. Just the way things are in this racket nowadays. In the past few years, we've added all-county teams, a Facebook page, live blogging of some games, and we haven't seen a raise in who knows how long. Yet all we hear is the Charlie Dressen advice: "Hold on, I'll think of something."

11. FTP_FDF

FTP_FDF New Member

Hmmm...a raise, what is this raise of which you speak? The only thing that's happened to my pay is a cut over two years ago....And while logically I know it isn't personal, it's hard to remember that sometimes....

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

The quality of work I do matters to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted