1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being Fired for Posting on SJ

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by journalist68, Feb 5, 2007.

1. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Well stated, Kaylee.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It's like anything else: If they want to whack you, this is a convenient excuse.

3. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I think what always throws them off is that we'rereally the same person using two different screen names.

4. Have worked with a few people who abuse the freedom many papers provide in looking at a site like this one. One thing to make posts after deadline, quite another when you're on deadline and you look over and guy is typing like a mad man on SJ and not on the story you need.

5. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Well fuck, Bob. What if he's asking an important style question? He needs to come here to be sure the score is the first number in that story he's working on and that he has locker room as two words. =)

6. When I started posting on here, I made it a point to 1) stay away from threads involving my employer and 2) stay away from threads involving my beat. Seems to work well enough.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And not the Bob Vila Army, either. But I bring the art thang to the table. Picture the guy in my pic saying it.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'm not tough to figure out for anyone who cares. Doesn't really bother me. I'm not looking really looking for anonymity. Decided it was probably just a good idea to tell my boss who I was.

9. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

The Bob Vila army?

Now I have an image of a guy in full military fatigues walking around a barracks saying "Today we're going to work on tiling. To do this, I went to our tile-layer, Gunnery Sgt. Hartman. Sgt. Hartman?"

"That's right Bob. The first thing you want to do is make sure you don't have any problems with grout..."

Sorry. Overactive imagination. Carry on.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

I post at work sometimes, though not when I have something else I really need to be doing. If I spent too much time here, I know the bosses would care, but my sports editor posts here some, as does our executive editor.

Some people take smoke breaks. I come here.

11. I do both. Of course, I never take a lunch break, so it all evens out.

12. joe

joe Active Member

My last name's not Agateclerk.

Draft saved Draft deleted