1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being Fired for Posting on SJ

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by journalist68, Feb 5, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing your byline is not Ike Broflovski.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I try not to say anything controversial, descriptive or interesting. Works best all around, really.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

This thread is why God (or Moddy) created multiple screen names. Make the other VERY infrequent, and the utmost annonymous.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I am Tiger Woods!

5. msarzo

msarzo Guest

I'm management and frankly, if one of my best reporters is on here, I don't care as long as he gets his work done and continues to live up to the standards he and I have set. In fact, I see a place like this as a benefit. If one reporter I hired back in September were still at my paper (he left after he got a more lucrative offer), I might actually point him to SportsJournalists.com and encourage him to sign up if he were so inclined.

When someone isn't getting his or her work done is where I'd have a problem with spending work time on something that isn't work-related.

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I'm actually hoping the reason I get fired is because I post on SJ.

7. JackS

JackS Member

Good post. It's pretty simple. Get your work done and don't blast your employer, and I don't even think anonymity is needed (unless you want to ogle your students, I suppose).

Of course, I'm sure a lot of people here would have problems with either or both.

8. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Here's the hazard of posting on here...

How many of you have been involved in a conversation that went something like this?
    "Dude, do you go on SportsJournalists.com?"
    "Why?"
    "There's a whole thread on [someone we know/a local job opening/a team we cover]!"
    "Hmmm..."
    "Yeah, some guy on there named [handle] went on there and said [the job/the sports editor/the departing writer/the incoming writer] was [terrible/wonderful/overrated/underrated/caught blowing goats on the Internet]."
    "Wow."
    "Yeah, know who I think it is? I think it might be [totally unfounded assumption]."

There are some who seem to make it their life's work to find out who's who on here. Personally, I think trying to find out who I am is stupid, but I'm well aware that's how the world works. And like a lot of people, I'm sure that if someone reeeaallly wanted to comb through my sentiments, they could probably guess who I am. That's why I don't bring work onto here, because once people start guessing, you have no idea who's going to get wind of what.

I'm far from perfect at this, but my general rule of thumb is to not post anything that you wouldn't mind your co-workers seeing over your shoulder. This way, those I work with may find that I'm somewhat neurotic and sophomoric, but not insubordinate.

You've gotta be careful out there.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I try to follow that, too. Although I'm not sure all my co-workers can read...

(Just keeeeeding....)

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, for the fortunate majority of us who don't have to worry about getting fired simply for being here, the anonymity is more to curb any big-timing that might go on. (Unfortunately, there's still some of that around here, but not nearly as much as there would be if people were under their real names.)

It's so we can have intelligent discussions about our chosen profession -- and we often do -- where Jason_Whitlock's opinion doesn't carry more weight than Joe_Agateclerk's, simply because he's Jason Whitlock and you're not. The quality of your content matters more than your name (ideally).

And that's the beauty of this place.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm picturing Joe_Agateclerk with black horn-rimmed glasses and jet-black, greasy hair.

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Hey Dools, nice sig line.

Although I'm betting you're not a member of the Villa Army like I am.

Draft saved Draft deleted