1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being Fired for Posting on SJ

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by journalist68, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Indeed.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

[​IMG]

Seems unlikely.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I haven't worn a dress like that in years...

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yea, but I've seen you in those cat's-eye glasses lately :D

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This is the brand of scotch that causes people to die penniless. [/ronwhite]

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Shottie's last attempt at wearing a dress ...

[​IMG]

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Wow, did this thread fall off track.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Shotglass is a girl? Wow, I need to pay closer attention.
    I used to think I really had to protect my secret identity, all Clark Kent style, then I quit caring. If somebody figures it out, who cares? I sure don't. And I figured I was being Captain Obvious anyway. Dropping so many clues that anyone could have figured it out with google and five minutes. Then I found out that one of best friend's and my brother post on here and they didn't realize who I was. Well my buddy figured it out when I PMed him and my brother caught on when he saw a thread where I talked about our cousins. Gotta give him a little credit for that. He's still dumb as a box of rocks though.
    Several former co-workers post on here, and through PMs they caught on, but not by posts.
    But, I guess, this place isn't much different than myspace or daybook. Be careful of what you post, because it could come back and bite you in the ass.
    Truth be told, if I was in a position to hire a sportswriter, I'd take a look on here to see what other people have said about his or her work. See if the name has come up in connection with other gigs.
    Due dilligence and all that.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Second that.

10. I would hope that if I were a senior manager/editor or whatever, and I found (ahem) people from my paper venting online about serious problems at work, I would try to assess those problems and find a way to work through them in a positive way.

People work better when they're happy, and that makes the paper so much better on top of that.

If I were my boss, I would respect the anonymity here, learn from it, and then go to work on having real and candid conversations in a 15-minute session before every shift.

every day. anything goes. then we build upon that.

unfortunately, I am not my boss.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Do not take shots at those you work with or your paper/web site's operation.

Ever. Ever. Ever.

And, do not post from work.

12. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

My SE has posted on this thread – I know he knows I know it – but he doesn’t know if I know he knows it – and that’s how it shall stay – because I know if he knew I know he knows it, well, I can only conjecture…

Draft saved Draft deleted