1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being Fired for Posting on SJ

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by journalist68, Feb 5, 2007.

1. journalist68

journalist68 New Member

Has anyone ever been fired for posting on this website?

2. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I haven't been fired, but would be if they found out. There actually was an internal investigation at my paper to find me out.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Well, there was the horndog up in Boston who had the hots for a Lady Terrier.

Could you elaborate without outing yourself? ???

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the plural of doofusses is doofii.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

My presence here is an open secret, and frankly, this site has been a resource that has gotten us breaking news, job candidates, story ideas, etc.

I never really understand those who come on here "anonymously" and then post 500-word gripes about their workplace that it would take the subjects about 10 seconds to figure out exactly what paper it is, and who's doing the posting.

A 100 percent guarantee: You'll never see my bitching about my workplace here (of course, I like where I work), and I rarely get into discussions about it that were started by others at all.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bottom line, several have. I don't see any reason to get into specifics.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had a friend who was fired for posting on the old Sportspages board. He had been warned not to do it on work time and did it anyway and they made an example of him even though the post in question was completely innocent...

I know there was one guy fired for posting here a couple years ago.

One major paper did an internal investigation of one of their writers who they thought was a regular on here. When they confronted the writer in question, they were stunned to find out that the writer was not anothing more than an infrequent SportsJournalists.com poster.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I know of two posters who were axed for sj-related issues, but they shouldn't be named unless they do it themselves. I'll say this, though: Just because it's an anonymous message board doesn't mean you can leave your judgement at the login screen. As another on here told me, the anonymity is a thin veil. If your employer doesn't want you on this site, then if you visit while you're at work, you do so at your own peril. Beyond that, whether you do it from home or from work, tread very lightly when talking about your employer. That can only end in tears. Of course, if they do fire you, we absolutely want every lurid detail posted here. ;D

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Me, too. I am pretty easy to figure out. Not that I have a particular problem with that. I know of one of my guys posting here, and when I have talked to people I might supervise in the past, I have told them I don't have a problem with them being here as long as they are professional and don't diss the paper.

As for hypocritical me, "professional" occasionally takes a backseat to arguing a point into the ground/stepping on someone's precious little toes. But you take that as it goes. If I fretted about every person who has a problem with me, and the reason why, I'd get even less done than I do. :)

rb

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Just remember, by law companies have to be able to track down what you do on a company computer.

11. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Look for the Las Vegas sports editor opening thread. Lots of juicy stuff from the blonde one on there.

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Like SF, I've never understood people flaming their place of employment.

My employer does not care that I post, seeing as how I have been asked to post job openings and when my work comp was rebuilt last week, the IT's guy list of my various Internet usernames/passwords included SportsJournalists.com.

Draft saved Draft deleted