1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being confronted by a coach...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This is gold Jerry. Gold I tell ya.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Well hell, if a teenager appreciates it then why not.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  3. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

When I was an SE at my last stop several years ago, the football coach/AD of the town's Catholic school blasted my reporter over comcerns that he had never addressed with us and gave us an absurd set of "media guidelines" to follow when covering games and writing features.

I got my intimidating ME involved, who was best friends with his mama. He came into our office spoiling for a confrontation, but after she reminded him that she'd changed his diapers as a baby and that his concerns were baseless, he apologized. Later I found out in a one-on-one conversation that he and his wife were dealing with an awful traumatic event and he apologized for taking it out on us. I told him I always had an open door policy and that he could call me anytime with his concerns. He and I actually had a better relationship after that point.

At no point did I air any of this in a column or gripe about it publicly. This taught me to be empathetic to the coach on the other end and what he might be going through at that moment. Get a one-on-one with him, really listen to their concerns and don't be afraid, in a private setting, to defend you and your outlet vigorously.

My advice is always this: Be classy in all your dealings. Walk a mile in the coach's shoes. Be a listener. Keep disputes like this in house. Writing an incendiary column about it is weak sauce and will do irreparable harm.

Now if you do all of these things and the coach bans you from covering the team, rips you in public and continues to be a jerk...well maybe a column is the way to go. But only if you've exhausted every reasonable remedy.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Teenagers grow up. Become members of the community and can become potential subscribers.
    The lead columnist at my last shop just retired and he pointed out that a kid he covered in high school in the 70s recently came up to him and thanked him for the one story every written about him by the columnist when he was a high school writer. The kid became a fan of the writer and paper and now, in his late 50s, was a faithful subscriber.
    So, it can happen.

Old Time Hockey likes this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Similar to what Spike said, the teenagers grow up to adults that can be valuable sources later on (assuming you stay in the same town long enough to utilize that relationship). One of the teenagers I covered earlier in my career was just hired as the head football coach at his alma mater. He was a 160-pound center for a small (but very good) private school team, but was always a smart kid and good talker. He was one of my go-to guys when I needed a good player quote and I've kept up with him as he's risen through the coaching ranks. Now, years later, I can already see that previous relationship paying dividends.
    Other former teenagers eventually have kids who play. Some of them become superstars. If they know you and trust you to do your job right, that appreciation can pay off down the line. Even if it's not a big scoop, they're usually reliable sources of tips and someone you can call to quickly fact-check or confirm something.

6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Potential subscribers? Don't say that too loud or you'll be having to sell subscriptions to kids you interview.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I guess if they are potential subscribers you better never be critical of them.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Solid advice here. +1

9. JohnHammond

How about not taking everything a coach says in the heat of the moment as an ultimate insult where you have to run off to a message board complaining how wrong the coach is for trying to hinder your bold effort to produce great journalism.

10. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Simple advice, maybe, but I think it's important for reporters (young ones, especially, although if they're smart they wouldn't be reporters) that there's a big difference between a coach/manager being an out of line asshole and one that's just stewing about a tough loss or something.

I've known reporters who take it personal when they get blown off or get short answers from a coach who just suffered an excruciating loss. This is ridiculous to me. As much as I know it's our job, talking to reporters isn't always something these people want to do after a brutal loss in a profession based off wins and losses. Don't take it personal.

11. stix

stix Well-Known Member

The coaches I hate the most are the ones who "demand" coverage or try and bully us into writing something they want written.

I've always wanted to reply, "Coach, you let me call the plays Friday night, deal."

Doc Holliday likes this.
  12. JohnHammond

If that gets under your skin, might as well quit.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted