1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being a sports reporter isn't all fun and games

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CrumbsOnMyShirt, Jun 4, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I know I've been thrashed for expressing a similar opinion in the past, but take it from a reader's point of view. A reader who is little interested in the machinations of journalism as long as he gets his daily paper in the morning.

The column seems like self-serving bullshit, and if I were said reader, I'd feel like I wasted my time by even reading it.

Stuff like these columns or goodbye columns are cool for college rags. Once you're a professional, that kind of stuff is too sappy.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think readers enjoy the inside-baseball stuff about our biz, tell them about the seven-OT games and the stages of writer/desk meltdown during each subsequent OT. That can be funny stuff. But delayed flights and long drives, I can get those stories from my salesman Dad.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If you've ever seen Wally's column, and I have, this is one of the LESS self-serving ones he's done.

4. Exactly. That's what I thought he was going to get at.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If only Wally worked as hard as his staff.
    That column was followed by this

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/227696/

It gets worse...

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Two pages and nobody's commented on the awesome ending to this piece:

"And while speaking of summer (54 days until SEC Football Media Days ), Wednesday’s column will be about my choice for president of the United States."

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

A new handle just to smack somebody?

Wow!

Oh, it's smackable, but that's a little cheesy.

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Seriously, you end up in Louisville instead of Lexingtion.. spend the night, drive 100 miles.. uh , that's not a very long frigging drive for pete's sake.....i would second the person who said to grow a pair...

9. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

Yes. That was very funny.

10. CrumbsOnMyShirt

CrumbsOnMyShirt New Member

I'm just a lurker that finally decided to join in the fun.

I once drove by the Arch in St Louis without looking at it. 1997. Damnit, that still bothers me!

11. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

I've been there. It's an arch. No big deal, really.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

How can you drive by it without not seeing it way up ahead? You can see that fucker for 15 miles in any direction.

Draft saved Draft deleted