1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being a Sport's Editor

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by RMoss18td, Dec 18, 2006.

1. RMoss18td

RMoss18td New Member

Recently, I was just hired as a sports editor at a twice a week newspaper. I work with one sports guy and I am in charge of designing, pagination, photography, etc. My goal is really develop a well-read and well-respected section with my co-workers and in the community. I am looking for any tips that anyone would be so kind to provide on how I can implement and execute a sucessful plan. Once a week I have a meeting with my staff writer to discuss what stories are upcoming, we talk about the local events that we cover, and overall have a good line of communication. My goal is to have a well organized and well received publication. I am just looking for tips on how to implement and execute a sucessful plan. Does anyone have any suggestions or any sucess stories that they could share with me that would be most helpful. I just moved from Illinois to a California newspaper to take this job outside of Bakersfield. While I have embraced the challenge of being a leader, I've also felt the pressure a little bit too.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well, for starters, you may want to brush up on the proper use of the apostrophe.

Real answer -- Read, read and read some more. See what your competitors are doing. See what some of the better weeklies in the country are doing. See what you can use from them to implement in your own section, with possible changes for the better. And above all -- READ!

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

RMoss -

We welcome you to the writers' workshop. But I'll be honest - I think you'll get more and better answers specific to your situation if you post this directly on the main Journalism Board, rather than in here. We get a lot less traffic, and are more focused on the word-by-word worries of storytelling.

That said, you may got some good-natured ribbing over there, too. But folks are generally helpful at SportsJournalists.com, and respond well to earnest professional curiosity. Good luck.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

What are your publication days? Is there a daily in your backyard that will beat you with gamers, or are you the main source of information for area prep sports? How many schools are in your coverage area?

5. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Right. Remember, it's not boy's basketball or girl's swimming.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It's boyz' and girlz'.
    (He needs to try to capture that 18-34 demo right off the bat. After that, smooth sailing.)

7. bballscribe

bballscribe Member

I got the job as a sports editor for a weekly paper in NW Houston in August. I'm in the same predicament as you, RMOss, so here's a little advice I might have:

My weekly work consists of gamers (done with an advanced look, of course, because of being a weekly), feature stories, sports briefs and any other stuff that comes through the week. Our paper has five separate entities so we get about two pages of sports per paper (10 per week). I try and get at least seven stories per issue (I have one stringer) with some nice art sprinkled here and there.

More importantly, I try to be as in-depth as I can. Give the community a more personal look at the kids since I know the major metro won't. Their stories are generic, basic, whatever have you. I try and make my stories professional (No. 1) but also thorough and more lively. The inside information I gather is something the major paper can't give because I talk to these kids and coaches more often than they do.

I cover 12 high schools. So it can get very rough, and of course some parents will be disappointed. I try and make the paper presentable and with articles they'll enjoy. From feedback I get, they seem to appreciate the work so far.

Good luck.

8. dustin_long

dustin_long New Member

It sounds like you're doing some good things. Remember people want to read about people. Find the stories. You have 12 high schools, so you have thousands of prep athletes. There have got to be some really good stories out there. Talk to ADs, coaches and, heck, even parents when you're at games. When I covered about 60 high schools years ago, I used to set aside a day here and there where I would just call ADs and coaches during the day and chat with them, find out what was going on with their team and the players and ask if there were any interesting stories. I found a few stories that way. Some made for nice features that could be enjoyed by fans of various schools. People will read good stories. Always ask questions and talk to people. You'll be amazed at what you'll find. Good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted