1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being a reporter vs. being a parent

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Missing an event for work is tough.

That's why I don't understand some parents who are busy all week then might regularly spend Saturday playing golf. I don't get that.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

My parents missed maybe a handful of games I played all the way through high school. I always appreciated it.

When I played college baseball, they didn't go to nearly as many. They went to a good chunk of the home games (about 30 minutes from their house) but didn't go to any road games, which is totally understandable.

Of course, my parents were self-employed so that made it all possible.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

We actually had a guy here just a couple of weeks ago start to walk out the door because we've got some total douchebags that run the place. He was told he had to work in the office the night of his only son's high school graduation. He didn't say a word, just started collecting his things and heading for the door until someone with half a brain spoke up and said "uh, no, you don't have to work that night."

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

My firstborn graduated from high school last night. It was a really weird feeling. Man, I felt old. Our photographer was shooting it, and his only child was graduating. I made sure to let out a cheer for her.

To add to two points made earlier:

My late wife and I always drove our kids. The elementary school is a mile away, but there's a convicted sex offender living on our block. The middle school is on the other side of a six-lane, divided state highway. Yes, there are traffic lights, of course, but a teenage boy who lived in our house before us was hit and killed on that road. The high school is three miles away, and the school district doesn't provide busing to our neighborhood, but it does to some others. I'm still wondering why. My paper has been very, very understanding about me driving the kids to and from school, and I'm thankful, especially since I've been a single parent since 2008.

I got out of sports about five years ago because I remember looking around a gym before a basketball game and thinking that I spend more time with these kids than my own. I was fortunate because a news-side guy wasn't happy and he wanted to go back to sports, so we changed jobs.

I missed a lot in my kids' lives, and was fortunate that my wife was there for them before she died.

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

My parents rarely attended any of my sporting events because both worked. I don't think it ever really mattered to me, but part of that was because my father was the guy who would holler all the time. I didn't want him there. And my mom had no idea about sports and spent most of the time gossiping with the people around her. Her reaction to every game was to say "you did great" regardless of whether I struck out four times and made three errors or was player of the game.

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

On my way to campus I drive past a high school and an elementary school, seems like most of the kids at both schools walk.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I got out of the business full-time is the 3-year-old sleeping upstairs from where I write this.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

With all due respect Mizzou, a "graduation" ceremony for pre-school kids may be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Princecreole started T-ball this year. I missed all three practices but made his first game.

Unless I'm coaching, I don't need to be at practice. They don't need me around because then the tendancy for goofing off increases. I really don't understand why anyone would want to sit through ANY practice of any sport at any level. Shit, my parents used to go to Wisconsin for Chiefs training camp and I would guffaw at them.

"Whaddawe talkin' about here? Practice??"

As for school functions, like non-graduation graduations, I just went to the eldest Princesscreole's sixth-grade "advancement" ceremony. Beyond squirrely awards and a trip down memory lane, it was not a big deal. Not a waste of time, just not a big deal.

10. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Going to my son's pre-school "graduation" next week. Not really a graduation ceremony -- more of a music program where they all sing and then they honor the kids (like my son) moving on to kindergarten. Is it a huge milestone in his life and a big deal? No. But it's nice to see what they've learned and to watch them put on the program they've been practicing and to see each of the 5-year-olds singled out for applause. It's a big deal for the kid and it's enjoyable for the parents. I wouldn't miss it. And I don't understand the snottiness over parents wanting to be there for their kid's event. You can't get to everything, but why the negativity?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think there is negativity toward being at kids' events. I think the issue is why preschools, elementary schools, middle schools, etc. Feel the need to hold "graduation" ceremonies.

For preschool, I can see it. The kids are performing.

I was uncomfortable at sixth grade "graduation." They would list all the accomplishments (honor roll, academic teams, perfect attendance, band, etc._).

So some kids have a long list and some kids just go up and get their piece of paper. That's kinda sad for sixth grade, I thought.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's not snottiness or negativity. I just don't get the need to be at every event for fear that a person is damaging his/her child by missing something.
    That doesn't mean parents should skip everything.

Draft saved Draft deleted