1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being a pall bearer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jun 15, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Unless, of course, you're left-handed. :p

Sorry for the loss, SP. As for the pall-bearing, it's an honor. Nothing you need to practice for, just wear comfortable shoes if you're going to be walking with the casket at any lengths.

2. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

I carried four of my friends to their spots by the time I turned 18.

All I can say is it doesn't matter if it's right side or left. Just don't get caught up in the emotion of it all. Stay focused on your duty.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Whoa.

Sorry about that Stevie.

Some caskets are heavier than others. Look around at the other guys. Hopefully they can lift their weight.

4. Lift with one hand on the rail, the other on the bottom of the casket.

If you're at the back, keep walking the casket forward while putting it into the hearse, even though you'll be trying not to crush your fellow pall bearers while doing so.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Have done it several times. My borther-in-law is a funeral director and he has asked me to fill in as a pall bearer the odd time when they need one. I always make sure I get on the right side.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've been a pallbearer at my grandfather's, grandmother's, and father's funerals. Once you get past the weird feeling that you're putting a loved one in the ground, it's a simple job.
    Grandmother's funeral was weird, though. We had all of her grandchildren (about 10 of us were there) as pallbearers. It was all I could do to put a hand on the casket, let alone do any heavy lifting.

7. Did somebody say Paul Bearer?

[​IMG]

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss, smallpotatoes.

I was one of the pall bearers at my aunt's funeral about a month ago. My experience was a bit like mustangj's. She as a large woman and the casket was a heavy one to begin with. It had rained most of the day, so the ground was very muddy. It was a struggle, but it was also important to me to be a part of it.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Funeral director will tell you everything you need to know in 5 minutes.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I did it for my grandmother when I was a freshman in college. My brother and two of my uncles, all strong able-bodied men, were pall bearers as well.

As long as it's not an elaborate funeral, it's basically pick up the casket and carry it to the hearse (probably about 10-15 yards) and then from the hearse to the gravesite (probably 50 yards at best). Those caskets are a little heavier than you might think, but in terms of weight, it's no different than carrying a heavy suitcase with five other people helping you.

Probably a good idea to pick someone to be in charge, someone on one of the front corners. That person can silently mouth everyone a "one-two-three" before you pick the casket up and lower it so it's lifted and lowered evenly.

And, like everyone else said, sorry for your loss.

11. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

I echo everything said above. It's not easy for sure. I tried to focus on the fact that my grandpa was Home and that he was receiving a military burial since he served in Korea. I tried to just keep my mind on positive stuff, as hard as it was.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I worked the funeral of a close friend's mother and there were several honorary pallbearers who were probably too old to carry themselves for long. They all stood around as if they were going to step in, then backed off as we lifted the damn thing after we got outside the chapel.

I was left alone on the right corner, with one guy at the right rear, and it was all I could do to avoid losing the handle on my side. The funeral director's guy slipped around to my left and grabbed a share.

We organized a lot better when we got to the graveside.

Draft saved Draft deleted