1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being a grown-up sucks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RedHotChiliPrepper, Jun 11, 2009.

1. The No. 7

The No. 7 Member

I didn't learn to drive until I was well into my 20s. I still don't drive very often, but that will change soon, hopefully. Buses don't go everywhere in this city (they'll go even fewer places when schedule changes take effect in the fall), and they certainly don't run long enough. They're great for getting me to work - when they're on time, that is. But when I'm done for the night, they've long stopped running, so my S.O. picks me up. Their schedule is much more limited here than in many urban areas, and their rates are going up AGAIN. It's already cheaper for me to buy a tank of gas than to use the bus each month. Discount passes only work if you commute on a 9-5 schedule.

Also, in some cases, not owning a car - let alone not having a license - can keep you from getting a job. I was just lucky to not be a reporter.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Look at the bright side - you could be like a friend of mine - 39, single, unemployed and living in his parents' basement.

3. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

But at least he has his BLOG! ;)

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A quality plan, for those with a head for numbers . . . but the other piece of advice here
    which MUST be heeded . .. NEVER buy anything using a coupon that you wouldn't buy, anyway.

The other useful side codicil is: among roughly-comparable products, exercising brand
    loyalty is a gross exercise in stupidity.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'll give you that Amen you're looking for. Ditching cars was liberating, especially financially.

It's not for everyone, of course. It helps when you live in a city with good mass transit and/or nowhere you want to go.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm a coupon clipper. 1) I only clip them for things I actually buy or a new product I want to try (like this cat hair remover, looks awesome). 2) The coupon has to make it cheaper than the store brand. Otherwise, I'm not really saving money.

Not that there aren't brands I'm very loyal too, like my shampoo and laundry detergent (yea, I'm allergic to Cheer and most of the cheaper stuff, not going there). But I saved $20 last week when Target had a bunch of stuff I use on sale. Stock up time!

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup. No point in spending money on something you wouldn't normally buy just to brag that you saved money. What's the point?

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'll make isolated exceptions re brand loyalty. Baked beans come immediately to mind . . . nothing comes
    close to B&M, and there are enough in-store sales and coupons floating around to make them viable --
    especially if you've experienced the horror which is Van Camp's.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Mustangs Money Saving Advice...

BUY AND SELL EVERYTHING ON EBAY.

A week ago, my phone cracked out. Needed to buy a new battery. ATT wanted to charge me $49.99 for a new blackberry battery. Went on Ebay, found it for $5.99 with free shipping. Then I sold my broken one and after shipping/fees, made $3. So my new phone battery ended up costing me $47 less.

Did the same thing with a laptop power source a few months ago.

I think just about everything is cheaper on Ebay, DVDs, books, CDs, electronics -- and the items are even cheaper if you buy used.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

For myself, a car is a nice luxury that I would never give up unless I had to choose between that and a roof over my head. I like knowing I can go where I want, when I want.

11. My income/housing ratio was way better when I was living in the Midwest compared to DC, but now that I have ridden myself of that albatross known as an unreliable car, it more than results in my favor. Sure, I passed up my own 1BR and had to take shelter in a 4BR group home with three the laziest, most anti-social and biggest slob douchebags in metro Washington, but I don't have a car and can live happy hours to their fullest. And my rent isn't $1100/month and I don't live in Columbia Heights, Adams Morgan or metro U St., three great trendy places to get capped.

Rack me and the District!

Draft saved Draft deleted