1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being a grown-up sucks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RedHotChiliPrepper, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Really, as everyone else has said, move in back home. Then start slow and don't be dumb with your money. Not saying you have been, obviously, but you can really rack up money fast if the parents are taking care of the cable, the power, the gas and the rent.

Get a little foundation and the rest will take care of itself. Good luck.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

RCHP, your problems aren't that uncommon, although they always seem to be the worst when they're happening to you.

But look at the bright side: You're young. You've still got plenty of time to get out of a dying business. You've got plenty of time to go back to school and become just about anything you want to be.

And, even better, your thoughts show that you have a good, solid head on your shoulders.

Move back in with mom and don't give it a second thought. It's what family is supposed to be for.

Just hang in there, and things are sure to get better.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If only someone had given me advice this good back when I was 26.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I don't mean to minimalize your problems, but getting a care that doesn't suck ass would literally solve half your problems.

Other than that, folks here have given you some decent advice.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

For early 2008, I could go down that list and check it all off with a few minor differences (grandma replaced with mother-in-law, a few less car problems and a few more way-behind bills and shutoff notices) and throw in being fired at the same time.

By mid-2009, I can honestly say my life has never been better and things could not possibly be going better.

Hang in there, keep evaluating and making the tough decisions, and things can and will turn around.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm going on 24, and almost in the same boat (at least from a financial standpoint) as Chili. I was stupid and got a credit card a few years ago, ran up a huge bill on it, and now I'm paying the price for it. Trying to get my credit score increased little by little, and it sucks.

I've paid off one debt to a bank, but I'll soon be paying off more past screw-ups on my part. I'm trying to get out of my current car, because the payments have become too much. My debts are slowly being paid off, and I realize I'll be out from under that mountain soon (just not soon enough).

I live at home as well, simply because I can't afford to live on my own right now. I want to move out so bad, but I know I can't risk being buried by even more debt.

Chili: Move in with your mom. If she isn't charging you rent or anything, help out around the house to make up for it. It's helped me get somewhat ahead on bills I had fallen behind on when I lived on my and wasn't able to save as much. I still don't save very much each month, but I've got more money to work with at the end of the month.

I wish you the best.

7. Petrie

Petrie Guest

I'm 23. Needless to say, I'm taking notes ;)

RHCP, you've been in a lot of tough spots lately. There's a reason for it, though...you *will* come out stronger in the end, and almost anything after this will be a walk in the park. Just keep your head up and work hard to get out of your rut, and the breaks will start going your way.

It doesn't take much to get things back on the right track. For me personally, it was (somehow) paying off a couple grand in credit-card debt in three months. I'm still poor, but it's *so* refreshing to get out of that hole. Work toward chalking up minor victories like that...they'll give you the strength and confidence to tackle the bigger issues in front of you.

Best of luck :)

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm just wondering ... how do people get a couple grand in credit card debt?

I get more than $100 on there and I start breaking out in hives.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

$100 at a time.

Essentially, they either don't have a budget or the budget is unrealistically optimistic. If you don't force yourself to account for all spending (and all potential or likely spending, such as car repairs), then you will naturally tend to underestimate your expenses.

From there, it's just a snowball. You keep waiting to catch a break or just hoping you can put off the date of reckoning another couple of weeks.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I recently bought a new car and my payments begin June 23rd. It's going to make things a little tighter, but if you can set aside some money here and there, you'll be good.

11. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Pretty much. No budget, buying a ton of above-average products I didn't need, and discovering the bar scene after I turned 21. Out of dough? Eh...put the phone bill on the card. Long as I had enough money to go out.

12. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

And for those who want more advice, here are some ways you can cheat the system:

1. Buy real estate at a discount. Note if the previous owners seemed like lazy asses unwilling to do the necessary improvements to drive up the home's cost. Then learn how to make those improvements yourself after you buy.
    2. Marry someone making good money. Teachers qualify depending on where you live.
    3. Treat relatives like gold. The in-laws might just feel bad for you and offer you a free week on their time-share plan in Vegas (I'm about one step away from that happening).
    4. When co-workers buy pizza, wait until it everyone is done, check to see if any pieces are left, then offer 50 cents for each remaining slice.
    5. That annoying friend who is rich? Learn to tolerate him/her, go out of your way to be friendly and get a few tabs picked up. Perhaps that's a dick move, but so be it.
    6. While in Vegas, check to see if the last name "Ponson" is listed as a starter for the Kansas City Royals. If he is, bet everything you own on Kansas City's opponent (unless the starter is Willis, Dontrelle).
    7. The Old Navy 50 percent off men's clothing sale is your friend. Load up on khakis.

Draft saved Draft deleted