1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being A Cheap Bastard

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I like to grab a magazine and read it while I do some grocery shopping. If it's one I enjoy with some good reads, I'll buy it. If not, I'll just put it randomly in with the rest of the People and weekly gossip rags.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Everyone who knows me gives me crap about being cheap. But if I'm so damn cheap, why don't I have any freaking money?

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

You don't have any money because you don't make any money. Also, you spend your paychecks on emergency situations caused by your lack of attention to detail. You bitch about purchasing a $2.97 jug of milk and go into histrionics when faced with spending more than $10 on a tank of gas. But thank you for the coffee and parfait this morning!

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

How does one read while one shops for groceries?

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's very easy to do, especially if you shop at Wally world.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There's a Barnes & Noble in Manhattan I like to frequent, but I just read stuff. I never buy anything.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I love going to Holly Farms outlets in Malls. I pig off the samples they have.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You know those little codes on the caps of Coke bottles? Type those into mycokerewards.com and for every 10 single-serve or 2-liter cap codes you enter (or roughly 3 12-packs will do it too), they'll mail you a coupon for a free 20 oz bottle.

I pick up those little caps everywhere and it's damn near an obsession. If a co-worker tosses a capped bottle into the trash or recycling, I fish it out and take the cap. When I covered high school sports, i'd try to scoop up caps on my way out the door after filing.

You can save up points from the codes for all kinds of random crap, but I take the free drinks. I estimate I've gotten at least 100 over the last 2-3 years.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I guess I felt cheap because I had decided not to get air, then changed my mind. On some level, after the way it played out, it felt like I was hoping someone would drop in their quarters and I could piggyback off of them. Not the case, of course, but it felt that way to me.

10. Is the odd 20-ouncer really worth the cost of your dignity?

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I guess you're a cheap bastard if you smoke other people's cigarettes from public ash trays.

12. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Man, you buy air for your tires in Cali and read in Manhattan. You do get around my friend.

Draft saved Draft deleted