1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being A Cheap Bastard

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't even know how much I'm saving now on a newspaper subscription. But I read several of them every day. For free. It's a great deal and I don't feel like I'm stealing anything.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I always wondered why she went to the gas station by the cheap hotel.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I've always wanted to do what Joe Namath did in C.C. and Company. Walk in a store, make a sandwich, eat it, and leave.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Explains why she was so good at siphoning, too.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

See, to me stealing would be breaking the glass on the vending machine and emptying it out. If you find a faulty vending machine and it gives you a ton of food because you kept pressing buttons, to me it isn't stealing. My distinctions may be arbitrary, but to me that one doesn't cross the line.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Mechanical failure. Of course. So if the faulty scale in the deli is giving you three-quarters of a pound of cheese and showing it as a full pound, you're not getting cheated?

7. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

My uncle was kind of a cheap bastard. Because there's a million burger kings/mcdonald's/hardees/wendy's in the area, he would call each of them periodically and claim there was a hair in his Whopper/Big Mac and they would send him a coupon for a free value meal or whatever. He would accumulate these to where he would probably get 1-2 free meals a week. And no, surprisingly, he's not fat.

8. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

That's not being a cheap bastard. That's being a thief.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Care to re-think this?

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I frequently use the free vacuums at the local car wash that aren't free anymore (without a car wash). Thing is, I bought a car wash there once and the car came back dirty.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I can't speak for other states, but in California a gas station cannot charge for air or water; however, many of them still have coin-operated machines.
    I go to the attendant, tell him/her I need air, and he/she turns the air machine on.
    Is that being cheap?

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Batman that's being frugal, not cheap. Why should the guy care. If I filled up my tires and there was time left I'd want someone else to take the rest. I agree with those who say frugal is saving yourself money, being cheap is shortchanging others. At restaurants I'll always give 20%, unless the service is bad and they don't look like they care. If it's someone is new or inexperienced and they f up but are nice I'll usually give them 20.

I think I'm probably more frugal than most. get pissed at the wife when she throws out coffee at the end of the day. i'll pour it in a cup and put it in the refrigerator.

Farmer J that's a good point about how the little stuff ads up. i remember a prof in college gave us a stat of how much most families spend per year on soda. it was a while ago but i'm pretty sure it was at least $500. i remember the guy saying soda is not healthy, if you just drink water you also save money. guy also encouraged us to read the paper and magazines at the library. of course that doesn't help anyone in the business.

coco, good story about the m&ms. place i used to work at, if someone lost money because the candy or chips didn't drop we'd shake the piss out of the machine and everyone would get something. not proud of it and don't do it anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted