1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beginning of the end for Vince McMahon and WWE?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jul 27, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I stopped watching, for all intents and purposes, about three years ago. Story lines aren't that interesting and many of the performers aren't too entertaining. Oh yeah, I can't stand McMahon. The guy is slicker than John Gotti after bathing in olive oil. I wonder how that dirt bag would do in the big house?

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Not even the Big Bossman is alive to save VKM.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Why is everyone shitting in their pants over this? These guys aren't working for competitive advantage, like they would in the NFL or MLB. Let 'em ripple themselves beyond belief. It's their asses at risk.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

And so taking out your wife and kid while riplling themselves up for this advantage is ok?

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Indirectly they are, because pushes are given out based on what the higher ups consider an attractive package, and that includes appearance. Seriously, why would Chris Masters EVER be given a push any other way? He's more boring than oatmeal on white bread, can't interview for shit and is a lousy performer. But he's got a great body when he's gassed to the moon. Which apparently is all the time, seeing as how he's already on his second suspension. And for a while he was near the top of the card, which means a larger chunk of money from the gate.

There are very few "normal" looking wrestlers in prominent positions in either of the major companies in America (normal by wrestling standards, not by man-on-the-street standards). You either have to be built like a brick shithouse or be a freak of nature. And have big boobies if you're a girl. Or Big Daddy V.

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I saw the title of this thread and all I could think of is:

There is a god out there!

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I think the reason is because in wrestling you wind up with corpses rather than a possibly tainted record book.

8. Do you all think steroids are part of the wrestling culture?

I thought they just worked out a whole lot and were really aggressive because rasslin' is so aggressive. You're saying chemicals are to blame?

The last non-steroidal rassler was Disco Inferno. 1997.

9. Look around. Chemicals are a part of all sports culture these days. Juicing in baseball, football, Olympic sports, pro wrestling. I'm desensitized to it all, so I say fuck it, let 'em do whatever because it only hurts themselves. One guy really fucked in the head, Benoit, took out two other people. But just because he's a public figure, it's more shocking than when Deadbeat Daddy, who only flips burgers for a living, slips his toddlers poison and buries them under the house (a story near my neck of the woods a few years ago). Two words: shit happens.

10. Jimmy Pips

Jimmy Pips Member

Considering that this topic was started in July, and the big rumor was that these Congressional hearings would happen in September, I'd say he's already survived it.

The report on Benoit's brain took a huge bite out of the steroid issue. He had brain damage to a degree the researchers who've been working on the athletes/concussions issue had never seen before. He kept a diary that apparently showed rampant signs of depression, paranoia, and dementia. And according to a friend of mine in the Atlanta media -- I can't recall if they've released all this publicly -- the police have no doubt, based on several pieces of evidence, that Benoit planned the killings in advance. They weren't a spur of the moment thing, like if he was suddenly overcome with "roid rage".

There's no teeth to that story anymore. And there's no holy, sainted records with pro wrestling for anyone to care about the sanctity of. The only way any of this stuff still happens is if there's Congressmen who are genuinely concerned with the health and well-being of guys who they think are just big phonies that roll around in spandex underpants.

Maybe there are, but I wouldn't put money on it.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

When you think about it, "shit happens" can also be applied to drunk driving deaths, amusement park accidents, crib deaths, random shootings in public places, flaws in airplane design.....

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The beginning of the end should have been that lame shit last night between Austin and that Italian guy. I haven't seen RAW in ages but I turned over from the MNF game and this is what I saw.

Yeah, we get it, The Condemned is now out on DVD. (And it never dropped out of the semi-concious guy's mouth after SCSA nailed him with a stunner!) Oh, shit here comes SCSA with a beer truck! Give me a hell, yeah!

Draft saved Draft deleted