1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beginning of end for Miami Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MGoBlue, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Frank, curious to hear what is your view about the Viewtron experiment.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Reasonable question. You know what? I'm going to give you a really crappy answer that satisfies me fine.

They're just different. Blog posts, for the most part, are short, a few paragraphs, or maybe a few short items. They're not 800 or 1000 words. They don't need headlines, art, cutlines, synopses (inside thing). They rarely have transitions to untangle, or a lot of quotes. They're usually single issue items, so there won't be 15 names in there to check. And that single issue is rarely something sensitive or of legal concern or whatever. Blog items are often, "There's no way Wisconsin should be ranked No. 8 in the country, and here's my opinion why." Or they might simply be a "I wonder what Red Smith meant by this" (old newspaper joke) with a link to content somewhere else. Or, "Boy, Anquan Boldin is really making a scene on the Cardinals sideline right now. What a jerk."

It's kind of "there's a difference, and I know it when I see it."

Simon, I'm pretty positive this won't make sense to you. :)

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think the smart thing to do is let other companies throw money around in their effort to be first man on the moon. And then, if one of them happens to succeed, copy what they've done. So I wouldn't criticize KR for pulling the plug. I might add that it's a game no newspaper company has really won yet, so chances are good that KR (or McClatchy now) would still be waiting for positive results in 2009 if they'd kept at it with Viewtron.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

The problem that I had with it is that they attempted to launch it in a spanish speaking area. The LA Times attempted to do something like that too and it was also done in a spanish speaking area. I think if it were done in another part of the country, it might have succeeded.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You only need one.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I had been reading the Herald's website last year as they covered a court case that interested me. They were staffing the pretrial stuff and mentioning pretty much every notable development.

Then the judge rendered a verdict in the case.

And they didn't cover it.

Not a word in the print version of the paper or online.

That's when I knew.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just curious, so I looked and found that as of 9/30/08, circulation at the Herald was down 11.8 percent in the past year, according to ABC. Average newspaper circulation had declined 4.6 percent over that period. That 11.8 percent in a year is a pretty steep decline.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Is that from September to September or March to September? Because Herald circulation drops a lot between March and September because all of the snow birds head north for the summer.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I've left your first graph unedited.

And, my man, you're actually wrong.

Makes perfect sense to me.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Gotta believe the diverse language barrier is the reason for such a steep decrease. San Antonio has a similar problem.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Huh?

Non-English speakers have been reading the Herald..... until this year?

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Simon, again, go away. Please. Unless you have lived in South Florida or South Texas, you have no idea what I am talking about. San Diego could also be thrown into the same pot along with El Paso.

Draft saved Draft deleted