1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beginner's Luck, Vol. 1: Beer Pong Edition

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Aug 2, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I went out to a bar near the local university last night. I was thinking about pre-gaming there and then going somewhere else, but I didn't end up doing that.

I happened to sit next to a couple of guys who were friends and (I believe) both military folks. We happened to start talking and before I knew it, one of them bought me a shot. Later on, the subject turned to beer pong and I mentioned that I'd never played.

They expressed incredulity that I'd never played beer pong, even though I'd heard of it. Then, they decided they would end that never having played thing by setting up some tables for a game.

By then, I'd had roughly three beers (I was drinking seven ounce Coronitas, so that's why I'd say roughly). I probably would have preferred playing sober so I could have no excuses if I lost. Predictably, I trailed during the first game, but unexpectedly, I rallied to get to a point where we both had one cup left. Then, the first guy I was playing against conceded because he went to go puke.

In the second game, the guy was actually playing defense for a little bit. Even so, I still went on a run after trailing and ended up winning that game, too.

Fun times.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

How's Mexican pisswater taste when they take out most of the calories?

3. forever_town

Like Mexican pisswater.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Did Reilly cover it?

5. forever_town

No, but he might have been amused. ;)

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

<Climbs on soapbox.>
    Beer pong is played with paddles, and you're trying to hit the beer cups or score a hoop by landing the ball in the cup.
    Beirut is played with a triangular formation of cups and you try to bounce the ball into said cups using your hands.
    Kids today don't know history for shit.
    <Climbs down from soapbox.>

7. forever_town

Be that as it may, I still won both games. ;D

Also won a game of quarters the first time I played that. Still haven't played Cornhole yet.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Me and another guy once won seven games of 21-cup Beirut in a row. My memory is hazy but I think we just threw the eighth game because we were plenty drunk and were sick of missing out on the rest of the party. The most games I've ever won in a row in 6-cup was 12. I've never seen anything more impressive, though, than two freshmen at a track party winning 23 games in a row against mostly upperclassmen competition.

9. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I can't even begin to remember how many games we played that night, but a friend and I were visiting the softball house for the night to drink and we were on the Beirut table from approximately 11 p.m. till 5 a.m.

It was a sloppy walk/crawl back.

Draft saved Draft deleted