1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Begging for your money - a fundraiser

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

That's right. I'm asking for your money.

Skip this post, click ignore, hit the 'back' button now. If you're not interested, that's totally cool. But here's the sales pitch.

I'm raising funds for cancer research. It's part of my bicycle race coming up the first weekend in September. The race is 206 miles from Point A to Point B with about 9,000 feet of vertical gain all in one day.

That's not important, though.

What is important, to me at least, is finding a cure for cancer or at least funding treatment for those suffering from this nasty disease.

I have set up a donation page through the Huntsman Cancer Institute. It is a cutting-edge research and treatment hospital in Utah dedicated to battling this disease. My father has suffered from it and was treated at this hospital. It was caught early and he appears to be cancer free now. My grandfather had it. Two of my uncles have had it. Three of my aunts have suffered from it. Chances are I will have cancer at some time in the future. Many of my friends, neighbors, co-workers and associates have been impacted by it.

Every penny of what you donate on this page will go directly to the hospital -- an non-profit facility that often provides treatment free of charge for those unable to pay for it.

I know times are tough for many of us. Any donation you can make, though, is greatly appreciated and will work miracles -- some small, some big -- for those suffering from cancer.

In the past, I solicited donations privately from a handful of you on this site and many have donated. I truly appreciate it. Now I am making an open invitation to all. Your donations can, if you chose, remain anonymous.

PLEASE DONATE.

In gratitude, I will gladly scream the name -- or screen name -- of anyone donating as I pass the 7,630 foot summit of the Salt River Pass when I am about 110 miles into the race. I'll only have about 90 miles left to go at that point.

Thank you.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Re: Begging for your money

As a cancer survivor myself, this cause is near and dear to my heart.

Thank you for doing this.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Not a problem, F_T.

This is a cause I feel pretty strongly about and will be happy to ride in an effort to fight cancer. It's not a huge difference I'll be making, but lots of little differences make a huge difference. So I'll try to do my part.

bump

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Does uma know you're screaming other people's names as you hit your peak?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And yeah, I'm in. You asked months ago and I'm there.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I beg to differ. You're making a difference to at least one cancer survivor. That should be worth something.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Good Lord, man. 206 miles and 9,000 feet up?

I'm in. If you're putting yourself through that the least I can do is kick in some cash.

Go get 'em.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hell, I just did it so I can listen to him complain about saddlesores...

9. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Oh man, do saddle sores suck. And Ides deserves props on this...a double century is no joke.

10. I'm going to donate again but this time on the condition that if you get a really bad saddle sore - you must name that sore Buck.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

A big thank you to those who have donated.

Chris, you wife has already asked that I name certain parts of my anatomy after you -- something about having pleasant thoughts for a change when moaning your name -- so I think adding Buck to the list should be no problem.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You're going to name your third nipple "Buck?"

Draft saved Draft deleted