1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Before you were a journalist ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by copperpot, Jun 9, 2008.

1. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

under what circumstances did you appear in the paper?

I was interviewed for a story about budget cuts at our school. They were thinking of doing away with the late bus. I lamented that I wouldn't be able to stay after for extra help in social studies if they did that. My social studies teacher gave me a very hard time for that, considering I'd stayed after only once.

I occasionally appeared in softball stories or roundup items.

I had a couple of letters to the editor published in the local weekly. One was protesting the idea of consolidating all of the middle school girls basketball teams in our district (three of them) into one. I argued that we were the three best teams in the league, and it would sap the league of all competitiveness. Funny how something so dumb seemed like such a huge deal back then.

I remember only one picture, posing with other National Merit commended scholars.

I think I still have every one of the above in scrapbooks at my parents' house. How about the rest of you?

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I was in a couple of pictures in my hometown's weekly when they came out and got a few shots of band camp. (Yes, I was in band.) Had a couple of pictures of me on the front page and I was interviewed for a story one year, but I don't think my quotes made it in the story.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

In which section did the band story run, KY?

And aside from box scores and the such, I was caught on camera getting an autograph from Jerry Grote and eight other Miracle Mets in 1993 -- the front page of the sports section when I was 10, decked out in a blue Mets hat and a David Robinson jersey and glasses bigger than my head.

I was also interviewed on a story about baseball cards and the emergence of other trading cards back when I was a sophomore in high school.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Got into some soccer, baseball and football briefs. Won a spelling bee. Won a couple academic awards. Nothing Earth shattering.

I wasn't technically a journalist yet, but I wrote an editorial in my college newspaper that basically examined my own views of gays and my use of slurs such as the F-word (and my commitment to stop saying it). It sparked a great deal of debate and several other newspapers contacted me and quoted me about it.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I was in a feature picture in the local rag when I was in kindergarten. Then, in high school for band awards, but that's it, as far as I know.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I got my picture in the little local rag for reading the most books over the summer at our library branch, and for winning my elementary school spelling bee (hmm, maybe there's a connection there). Later, a bunch of sports-related stories.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I was an award-winning musician in high school, but I don't know if anything was ever in the paper about it. I later worked at that paper, but never wandered over to the features or news sections to see if they do that stuff. Of course, I really didn't care enough to think of that then.

Looking back, I'd probably just be embarrassed I was in the paper for music-related achievements, anyway.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

A-section, front page.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Your hometown weekly had more than one section? Damn.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Way to shine, KY.

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Just high school sports. And only by the grace of God was I not in the police blotter about a million times in high school for drinking and driving, and egging houses.

And KY, at band camp did you stick a flute up....?

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Why? You worked just as hard as the others. You deserved recognition.

Seriously, I wouldn't put all my time and energy into something I think that I'd be embarrassed for other people to know about. Unless, you were an award-winning accordion player.

Draft saved Draft deleted