1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Before they were famous hacks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mookieblaylock, Jun 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

"FUCKING OFFICIALS!!!"

2. Denver Post/early-mid 1980s

Rick Reilly
    Wojo
    Shelby Strother
    Woody Paige
    Jim Armstrong
    Mike Monroe
    John McGrath
    Tom Patterson
    Jim Herre

And many more ...

3. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I heard the staff at the '79 Beloit Daily News was dynamite.

4. House

House Guest

I'm doing sports right now by accident. Just kinda fell into it. Never even covered a prep game in college or as a part-timer. I mean no offense to anyone here, but I don't take sports writing all that seriously. It's just sports to me.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i don't understand how you 'topic of thread' nazis get so bent out of shape if a thread doesn't go where you hoped.

it's called free discourse there man, a topic you should, i guess, defend.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow, why don't you come back when you do take it seriously?

7. House

House Guest

Sorry, wrong answer, but thank you for playing. ;D

I write about high school sports. Kids play, kids score, boring. Sometimes a kid smokes pot and gets suspended, but we can't write about it, so there goes anything remotely interesting. Nothing serious about my job. It's why I had another thread asking people about jumping to (or back to) the news side.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sorry, right answer. why don't you get the hell out of sports and stop bastardizing the profession?

speaking of hacks ...

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you're in this business and you haven't heard of DeFord or Kindred, you need to read more...

10. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

If you don't take your work seriously, then no one should ever take you seriously. How you handle your profession, whether covering high school sports be temporary or for good, reflects your character. Unless you're just trying to get a rise out of the folks here, your comments show you have zero professional character.

11. House

House Guest

Maybe I'm just in the wrong place then. But it's hard for me to take it seriously when the opinion of my employers is basically "your job doesn't matter, your opinion doesn't matter, write non-controversial, nice stories and do it by deadline."

I don't dislike sports (except soccer), but I'm finding out that the only people who take sports journalism seriously are the people who do it. Why should I beat my head against a brick wall if my employers don't give a shit? It's just until I can find a news job.

Now for the modest number of you writing about college and pro sports, I'm sure it's great. But most likely, over 70 percent of us, I'd guess, is in some small place writing high school and little league roundups.

I am curious to know why you guys feel the way you do (other than it's your lifelong profession). Are sports really that important in the grand scheme of things?

12. pallister

pallister Guest

In the grand scheme of things, sports are nothing more than a catharsis, an enjoyable and often-needed break from the life of responsibility -- paying bills, raising kids, dealing with relationships, etc.

However, as mentioned previously, you should take pride in the job you do; otherwise, you'll never be any good at it. And who cares what your bosses think. Hold yourself to a higher standard than anyone else expects of you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.