1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Before the Devil Knows Your Dead

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 20, 2008.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

The movie was a so-so heist film, but Hoffman was fantastic.

And Tomei is drop-dead gorgeous.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Your Dead What?

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I think I understand why people thought it was so-so, but I guess I just like Sidney Lumet's filmmaking.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I thought it was good filmmaking, but jeebus, what an absolutely punishingly depressing movie. It's just bad things happening followed by worse and worse things happening, with no redemption in the end.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I felt the same way about Leaving Las Vegas. Absolutely no payoff -- just depressed the fuck out of me an hour into it, then depressed me again ... then again ... and again.

I'm glad I watched it once ... but never again.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It was depressing as hell for sure, but I think we all have wondered what makes people like profound alcoholics and downtrodden hookers tick, and Nic Cage and Liz Shue did that very well, in much the way Theron gave a window into the mind of a mass murderer. The movie was really more about the hooker trying to find her humanity. Not entertaining, but engrossing.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh, not saying it wasn't engrossing or intriguing. It was both of those.

But it was also depressing to the point of masochism. Wouldn't watch it again if you paid me.

Draft saved Draft deleted