1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beetle Bailey should retire

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Today's might have been the best yet:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As long as were going to invoke fair use here...some more Nancy literature:

[​IMG]

Note in the first panel, there are three rocks near Nancy. Then at the end...the Three Rocks library. Pure artistry

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Average age of the comics page readers has to be at least 75.

Our shop tried to swap something new for Peanuts about four years ago, and of course the phones rang off the hook. We tried to move Peanuts into the classified section, and still people bitched about it being hard to find. So back on the comics page it went.

Maybe after all 50 years of Schultz comic strips have been rerun, all the original fans will have died off.

Of course, the newspaper will probably be dead, too.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Betty Cooper.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Peanuts at least is funny on an average basis. Like, it has a punch line and what not - it tries.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My heart was warmed this weekend when I found the Sunday comics section laying by my son's bed. Told me he reads every day.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not Me left it there.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I gave all my Calvin and Hobbes books to my 7-year-old. He loves them.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I enjoy the morning comics, and I'm not 75 -- although I'm over 50.

Zits, Baby Blues, Non Sequitur, Jump Start and Dilbert often make me chuckle.

I stopped reading Beetle when Sarge started beating him up every day.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

There are plenty of great comics online. Check out Dark Side of the Horse or The New Adventures of Queen Victoria sometime. Ozy and Millie is now running daily on gocomics.com, even though it's really about 10 years old. That's some quality stuff.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Private Murphy was a much better military strip.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What's everyone's top five favorite strips? Mine are pretty interchangeable:
    1. Far Side - Groundbreaking in every way. I think it's the comic that separated the traditional strips (Beetle Bailey, Hi & Lois, Blondie and the like) from more modern fare like Calvin and Hobbes and Dilbert.
    2. Fox Trot - C&H is great, but this was always consistently damn funny.
    3. Calvin and Hobbes - Always fun, and if I rate it any lower a riot might break out.
    4. Dilbert - Another consistently funny strip, even if it goes through some hit or miss stretches of weird humor.
    5. Robotman/Robotman and Monty/Monty - I just love how this strip has constantly evolved into something light years from its original premise. It started life as a strip about an alien robot and his earth boy buddy. Now, almost 30 years later, it's about a loser and his weird sci-fi based roommates, with neither Robotman nor the earth boy anywhere in sight. It's like the creator just got bored after a while, changed things up, and seamlessly transitioned into a new strip.

Draft saved Draft deleted