1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beetle Bailey should retire

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Remember when Halftrack had to take sensitivity training because of his ogling of Miss Buxley?

If the strip were ever funny, it ended forever when that happened.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Beetle and Buxley are always out on romantic picnics and whatnot, and she's frequently hanging on his arm. She's also out with Killer a lot, so she might be blowing half the base, but Beetle is at least getting his share.
    Why do you think he's always so tired? Buxley is a nympho who keeps him up all night.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Still better than Family Circus.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But not as funny as The Other Family

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Family Circus at least serves a purpose with the sugary cuteness that grandmas like to stick to their refrigerator doors with magnets that look like fruit.

Beetle has absolutely no purpose. It's the Ed Randall of comics.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

There are so few comics that I find even borderline humourous anymore. Its to the point where I often don't even read the funny pages, but the odd time I go through our one page in the paper, it's rare when it elicits even a small chuckle. The best that we run, sadly, is Dilbert. But that's it as far as coming close to consistently getting me to laugh. The one strip I do like, but we don't run, is Get Fuzzy. Makes me really miss the days of The Far Side.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We still have comics? I haven't looked since the last day of Calvin and Hobbes.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I do not comprehend how Garfield is still in print.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I really enjoy Pearls Before Swine, and he (Pastis) does annotated collections of his strips, most of which are humorous rants about the 1930s morality code of the comics page and "legacy" strips like Beetle Bailey, Dennis the Menace, Garfield and The Family Circus that haven't been funny since the 1930s either. Basically, really old people read the comics page, and they get upset if you mention anything, or if anything changes on that page.

If you want an MST3K'ing of the daily comics page, then this site is required visiting: http://joshreads.com/

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Pearls Before Swine printed a jumble one day. "Q: What have the comics been since Calvin and Hobbes left?" A: No laughing matter.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll occasionally look at Boondocks or Fox Trot online (It's probably been a couple years though...), but when Watterson stopped doing C&H when I was still in college, I stopped reaching for the comics.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I get the daily C&H on Facebook and still laugh my ass off. I used to read Sherman's Lagoon all the time but have even got away from that.

Draft saved Draft deleted