1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beer talk

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Sep 3, 2008.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It's not available nationwide yet (and I don't know for sure if it ever will be), but I have to ask if any of you has tried the new old Schlitz in bottles or on tap.

At one time Schlitz was the No. 1 beer in America. Some time in the late 60s or early 70s they went to a cheaper formula and the beer fell off the charts as it was pretty much undrinkable.

The brand survived over the years as a cheap brand much like Milwaukee's Best.

Well, they've resurrected the old recipe and it is now out in limited distrubution. In bottles and on tap is the old recipe. In cans, it's still the cheap shit. Last night I had a glass of Schlitz on tap and it was pretty damn good.

There are no more Schlitz breweries left. The label is now being produced by Pabst (which also doesn't have any breweries of its own and contracts out to have its products made at Miller).

If you're in one of the limited distribution areas, I'd recommend giving it a try.

But remember. Not in cans.

If you do try it, let me know what you think.

2. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Daryl Chase: How you supposed to run a successful business, you ain't got no Schlitz Malt Liquor! You ain't representin'! You ain't keepin' it real!

3. old_tony

No word on whether they'll bring back the Bull.

BTW, here's a website:

http://www.schlitzgusto.com/home.asp

4. here's the ap story on the reintroduction:
    http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=AP&date=20080801&id=8972145

5. old_tony

The bar I had it in last night has had it for about a month. Two weeks ago I was there on a Tuesday night and wanted to try it. They had gotten a barrell in on Friday and were already out.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm about a quart low of GUSTO! I'll be looking for it.

7. old_tony

Sadly, Dan, according to the website it right now is only available in Minnesota, Illinois and Wisconsin.

8. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

I can represent that it once was a damn fine beer — even if I was only 16 the first time I tried it.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Schlitz used to have great commercials, and the beer was quite drinkable in the late 1960s, early 1970s before it went skunky, after all the changes.

I loved Miller High Life in the clear bottles. Now, not so much.

Lesson to regional breweries, like Stroh's, that changed their product by going national and then virtually disappeared from everywhere: Sometimes small is OK. Genesee stayed smart.

10. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Bought a six over the weekend but it's still in the basement fridge. Guy working at the liquor store said it's selling well and he said he liked it when the distributor did a sampling for employees.

11. old_tony

Well, dammit, get down there and crack one open!! And report back.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"Our one brewery makes it best"

Still remember that slogan from ads on Buffalo TV.

Draft saved Draft deleted