1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beer snob sues MillerCoors for making Blue Moon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, May 6, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

At after-work functions, this guy will go around and criticize everyone's beer selection. I always enjoy bringing a sixer of Busch Light just to make him lose his mind.

studthug12 and expendable like this.
  2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Here's a way to have fun with wine snobs. Next time you want someone to puke over the great California vintage they're drinking, make sure they know it's permissible that 10 percent of the grapes used can be from anywhere in California — Bakersfield, Death Valley, Palm Springs . . .

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

My initial reaction to all of that is BFD.

Come to think of it, that's my secondary reaction, too.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

BTW, a little full disclosure. I like Blue Moon. I don't give a crap who makes it.

heyabbott and JackReacher like this.
  5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I don't mind exposing a huge corporation for trying to pawn off a mass-produced beer as "craft." It's smart, on their part, but it is disingenuous. I just wouldn't care enough to bring the issue to court.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's a class-action suit. It's 100 percent lawyer-driven.

franticscribe likes this.
  7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It's a potential class action. I'm certain the lawyers were looking for a plaintiff.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Probably was drinking it during the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, so no wonder he felt ripped off.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Beer snobs are not Beer geeks. There is a difference.
    Snobs look down on what you are drinking and talk about why there's is better.
    Beer geeks love to talk about what they are drinking and love to try what you are drinking.
    Give me a beer geek any day over a beer snob.

But yeah, Bud Light and Miller Lite and et al do sucketh.

The term "microbrewery" is going to the wayside nowadays. It was a term started 20-30 years ago to distinguish from the the big boys, and there used to be a gap. Now that gap is shrinking, especially now that the Brewers Association allows adjucts in craft beer. So Yuengling is the biggest, followed by Sam Adams (Boston Brewing) and both brew under the limit of 6 million barrel/year to be called "craft."

Basically, breweries are now broken down into a different groups: Macro, National, Regional, Local, Nano and Brewpub.
    Distribution defines a brewery now although barrel capacity plays a part as well. You won't see a nano (7 bbls. down to 1/2) get much distro outside of their local area, so it's not like they will be much more than a local, etc. But if you don't sell outside of a taproom, you won't be on this list anyway and will be listed as a brewpub since it's actually a different license.

OK, anyone else confused? :) Sorry, I'll stop. I love talking about beer/breweries, which is why I got into writing about breweries. I try to be a beer geek more than a beer snob daily.

Off to go pound a Natty Ice! ;P

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

All I know is I miss Schmidt's of Philadelphia.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

They aired the Schmitts Gay commercial in the SNL 40th anniversary special without "Beautiful Girls" and it just wasn't the same.

I like Blue Moon too but hate having it served with an orange slice. That's too much beer snobbery for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted