1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beer snob sues MillerCoors for making Blue Moon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, May 6, 2015.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

"What about us?" - Foodies

Speaking of these beer taints, when did microbrews become "craft?" And we all know it's because it sounds much more pompous to say "craft," like you molded it out of fucking clay.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's not nearly as bad as "artisinal."

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Beer snobs are obnoxious, but this is actually a pretty straight forward misleading advertising lawsuit.

Is it misleading to call Blue Moon a "craft beer"? Seems to me it is.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If anyone thinks beer snobs AREN'T douchebags, I cordially invite you to Google "the difference between craft beer and microbrews."

LongTimeListener likes this.
  5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, as BitterYoungMatador2 points out, it's pretty misleading to call any beer a "craft beer." But I'm sure the douchenozzle home brewer from the story will insist that the swill from his basement is a "craft beer."

6. Dick Whitman

It's a fine line, of course, but there's nothing necessarily snobbish, I don't think, about saying that one prefers, say, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or an imperial stout over a Miller Lite. Stuff tastes different.

7. Dick Whitman

My understanding from the story is they say it is "artfully crafted," not that it is a "craft beer."

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Mediocrity snobs can be a little self-righteous.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Different beers have different tastes. I don't think anyone will argue that. But the douchenozzle clearly liked Blue Moon. Then he found out who made it and now apparently he doesn't like it.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Right. Drink whatever you want. Just don't be a douche about it, or act like anyone else even gives a shit. That's where the snobbery comes in.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Anyone with a decent palate should be able tell the difference between a cabernet and merlot. It's much trickier to tell the difference between the $5 bottle of merlot and a $500 bottle of merlot (not that I would know ... the most I've ever spent on a bottle of wine is $45).

I'm no wine snob, but I'll tell you this - I can tell the difference between a glass poured from an $8 1.5L bottle of pinot and the $20 1.5L bottle of pinot ... usually the next morning, when I wake up with a splitting headache or feeling fine.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with that, but the Brewing Association has come up with a definition for craft breweries that is apparently accepted in the industry and MillerCoors ain't anywhere near it. Because that phrase has taken on a specific meaning for consumers, is it misleading to try to trade on it when your product doesn't meet the meaning consumers think it does?

That's one of several basis stated in the lawsuit for the claims that MillerCoors is trying to mislead consumers into thinking Blue Moon is a craft beer. They also talk about the placement on the shelves with small brewers; the claim that it's brewed by Blue Moon Brewing Company, which is located at Coors Field in Denver, when the beers are actually brewed at Coors facilities in North Carolina and in Golden, Colo.; no reference to MillerCoors on the bottles; and no reference to MillerCoors on Blue Moon's website.

I found the article frustrating and just went and read the lawsuit. http://clarktreglio.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/2015-04-23-Pltf-Complaint.pdf

Draft saved Draft deleted