1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beer poll

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Aug 1, 2012.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I'm not really a beer expert and certainly not a beer snob:
    -- In 1997, on a family vacation to France/England, we were waiting at the hovercraft station in Calais. They had Leffe on tap. Best beer I've ever had. Got halfway down the second pint when they made the boarding call. Only time I wished the transportation had been late.
    -- Long time ago I was invited to a party by some people I didn't really know very well. Got there, went to the fridge to grab a beer. All they had was Brew 102. I suddenly remembered that I had somewhere I needed to go.

2. turski7

turski7 Member

Best: Newcastle and Easy Street (Odell Brewing)
    Worst: Olympia

New Belgium's Skinny Dip was the best before they changed the recipe and turned it into crap. It used to be so delicious. It was their summer brew and nothing beat it on a summer day/night.

If you're a fan of beer festivals, I highly recommend the Great American Beer Festival in Denver. A four-hour beer-drinking extravaganza. Something like 900 brewers and 3,000-4,000 American beers.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This might be the best beer I've had:

[​IMG]

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Preach!

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

This took a page and a half. Love the cartoon, but I definitely had the under.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I have a Beer 30 can...will never open it. It scares me.

As for my picks:

1. Sam Adams Cherry Wheat
    2. Stroh's (my dad swears by it...ugh)

7. joe

joe Active Member

Really, anything from the PNW breweries is good: Bridgeport, Rogue, Full Sail, Deschutes and others I've forgotten since leaving there in 2005. Even better is if you can get it from the brew house, like you can Bridgeport in the Pearl District in Portland.

Worst: Old Milwaukee. Choked it down once — once — in high school and never again.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Is Olympia still around?

9. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Sierra Nevada is much better than S.N. Torpedo; it's a matter of complexity of flavor versus HOPS! HOPS!! HOPS!!! That's my biggest complaint about American IPAs, which are in general my favorite type of beer. There are more ways to excel than by just cranking up the IBUs. It's like saying one hot sauce is better than another because it's more Scoville's. There's a reason people pay four dollars for Cholula and one dollar for Tapatio.

The worst beer I've ever had is Steel Reserve, but I am capable of drinking it. I once, very ill-advisedly, bought a 6-pack of Four Loko red flavor in glass bottles (!!) because of a spate of stories about how popular it was with college kids. I think this is technically considered a beer or a malt liquor. I think that's the one and only time I threw away an entire six pack after a few ounces. And I say this as someone who was willing to consume Sparks and whatever the other macro energy-malts that have since been discontinued due to widespread mayhem.

The best beer is Bear Republic Racer 5 (IPA). It's not close. The best beer that's actually unique was once Alaskan Winter, but they too changed their recipe to save costs and so for the last few years it tastes a lot less like spruce and now is much more of a generic winter ale taste. Their IPA is still quite a strong performer.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Good point on beers just cranking up IBUs for the sake of hoppiness. Torpedo is really an average IPA at best for that very reason. Same goes with Red Hook's Longhammer.

I fancy myself a bit of an IPA connoisseur. The best I've tasted are Sculpin and Bell's Two Hearted. Though Stone IPA is a very good fallback if either isn't available. Also, Breckenridge 471, which has a nice, balanced taste but is 9.3 ABV and can kill you if you're not careful.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The beer that I can find regularly which I like the best is Allagash White,

The worst that I've ever had is Cool Colt -- a menthol flavored malt liquor from the makers of Colt 45.

12. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Favorite available in every region: Fullers ESB or Fullers London Pride. Pricey and mainly available at specialty shops but not hard to find.

Favorite mass-produced American: SNPA

Worst: Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic or 21st Amendment Watermelon (I dislike fruit beefs in general but that one smells like a Diaper Champ that needs to be emptied)

Draft saved Draft deleted