1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beer poll

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Best: Sierra Nevada (or Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA if it counts as mass produced)
    Worst: Coor's Light

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not sure of Dogfish Head's reach ... Having lived on both coasts I know you can get Sierra pretty easily. New Belgium has finally made its way east as well after being exclusively West Coast for a long time.

3. Good call on the Summer Shandy, Johnny. Been buying the 12-pack cans a good bit this summer.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My favorite beer is a beer I haven't had before.
    Full Sail Top Sail Bourbon Barrell-aged Imperial Stout isn't a beer I could drink every day, but damn - it is perfection.
    The go-to beer if it's the Usual Suspects on tap - Sam Adams.
    My all-star lineup: Hefeweizen - Widmer; IPA - Bridgeport; Amber - Rogue Dead Guy; Porter: Deschutes Black Butte; Stout: Bison Chocolate Stout.

Worst - Burgie Light

And if you guys like beer, you should head out this way for the Oregon Brewers Festival next year. It's pretty freaking great. 80 plus beers, outdoors on the Portland waterfront.

5. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Fair enough. I typically don't find much at your average grocery store or corner store that I'd want, and part of it depends on where you live. Sierra Nevada Torpedo is a decent-enough IPA that most stores sell, so if the options are Bud, Miller or worse, I'll go with Torpedo. If you live anywhere where Bell's is distributed and readily available, you can't really go wrong with any of their beers. Most Dogfish Head beers are good, too, but Dogfish pulled out of several states because of supply issues in the last couple years.

If I had to rate the basic lagers, I'd take Michelob, Coors Original, Budweiser, in that order. I consider Miller the Wal-Mart of beers, so I avoid it altogether.

6. Dark_Knight

Dark_Knight Member

Good man.

Best: I can't turn down Shiner. As for non-mainstream beer, Chimay Blue.

Worst: I'd rather drink horse piss than Keystone.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm fine with Miller Lite as a hot-day-at-the-beach or camping beer. Otherwise, I usually go with something a bit heavier.

8. Speaking of the Wal-Mart of beers, I was having a discussion with my BIL recently about the most "redneck" beers. Despite my handle, that is not an area of expertise for me. I'm snob beer all the way. So, in BIL's opinion, any Budweiser product would be at the top of any good redneck's list, with Bud and Bud Lite being 1-2, respectively. Busch would be up there next to Bud. Thoughts?

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Natural Light

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Best - Sam Adams Boston Lager
    Worst - Beer 30 Light (I kid you not. It's an actual brand)

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I like Sierra Nevada and Anchor Steam a lot and really enjoy Pacifco when I am south of the 49th.

12. MY red neck Pa. relatives drink Keystone ... ugh.
    My dad drinks Old Mil.

The cheapest beer I drink is Busch Light.

Draft saved Draft deleted