1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beer, dining and fitness -- Fort Collins (Colo.) Coloradoan

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Matt Stephens, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

So, not exactly in our sports department, but who doesn't like bikes and beer? Why not cover them for a living? You could easily argue they're the two pillars of our 150,000-person town.

We're looking to fill a very important position at our paper. I can try to answer any questions you might have.

----------------------------

From jjobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1510711

Company: The Coloradoan
    Position: Reporter: Beer, dining and fitness
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: August 16, 2013
    Job ID: 1510711

Description:

The Coloradoan, a 25,000 circulation paper nestled at the foothills of Colorado's front range, is seeking a dynamic reporter who can cover three key areas that ignite Fort Collins residents' passions. People in Fort Collins stay fit, play hard and know how to relax — the right reporter will be able to juggle all three portions of the beat to deliver stories that are compelling, useful, fun and hard hitting.

There's more to this role than beer tastings; from small craft operations to gigantic bottling plants, breweries are a huge part of our economic engine. Proximity to the mountains mean that fitness is big business as well as recreation. You should feel comfortable writing about not just the taste and texture of a meal, but the economics behind it as well.

We're looking for a versatile journalist. We expect you to be as deft with adjectives as you are with a GoPro. Social media prowess is a must, as is a mature sense of what it takes to build a personal brand and answer a community's questions. It's a daunting batch of skills, but if you're the right reporter, you're up to the challenge. Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or equivalent experience required.

Here at the Coloradoan, we're out to be more than just a newspaper — we believe in renewing the contract between community journalists and our readers. This year, we were honored as the state's most innovative newspaper from the Colorado Press Association, and Gannett presented its 2012 innovator of the year award to the paper's editor.

Fort Collins is a city known for its great quality of life and off-the-charts educational attainment. It boasts a booming craft brew scene, Colorado State University, a vibrant downtown, bike paths that traverse the community, hiking and all that the Rocky Mountains have to offer.

Join us in continuing to produce great work and proving to the rest of the nation that community journalism is far from dead.

Coloradoan Media Group is part of the Gannett Co. an international media and marketing solutions company that informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its powerful network of broadcast, digital, mobile and publishing properties. We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package that includes a 401(k) plan. Qualified applicants should apply by visiting http://bit.ly/10RtiCe.

Coloradoan Media Group is committed to diversity and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.

2. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I don't drink so I guess that eliminates me.

3. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Un-American! We are the country of St. Louis, Milwaukee and Golden and a nation with hundreds of microbreweries.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Holy crap, it's my dream gig.

5. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I can't be that un-American. I have an Honorable Discharge and two medals to go with it.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And you get you're own company car.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Ah, my annual chance to remind everyone that Fat Tire is completely overrated.

8. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Oh, lighten up. I was joking. I was in the Marines for over eight years, but no need to give military resumes here.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Get that talk out of here.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm guessing they will have no shortage of applicants here, both folks sober and otherwise. After all, how many jobs are out there where you are actually encouraged to drink while on the clock?

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

And in a region with great fishing, hunting, hiking, camping, skiing and watching stars at night while drinking beer, too.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Write about beer, but have to take a drug test!

What kind of hypocrisy is that?

Draft saved Draft deleted