1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Beer bracket" 2011

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Coors Light: The NIT of Beers

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I don't think a No. 1 seed would win a game in that bracket.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

We "seeded" on national popularity....otherwise...yeah, I wouldn't have had any of the 1s be 1s...but you get a lot of chicks (or frat guys) that don't know any better...
    I also tried to keep it to popular regional beers (so, for instance...some of my faves (Three Floyds, New Glarus, Arcadia) didn't make the cut). I used beeradvocate.com to break ties on popularity by looking at the number of reviews made when it came to choosing the higher seeded of two beers from the same company (that's why Leiny's Sunset Wheat was so low....I also wanted them to make a good run)
    A few, yes...we were too drunk to work it out past what it was...but I think it came out alright...and like every year...someone won't be happy.
    Spotted Cow has been compared to Colorado already on the facebook page.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If Miller Lite doesn't win the whole thing, it's fixed.

:)

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Smithwicks and Guiness playing each other in the second round, there's something seriously wrong with that. You groups the top teams in the United Kingdom/Ireland Conference (including Newcastle) too close together.

6. spikechiquet

It was a random draw pretty much...we gave four beers a seed, ranked them from 1-4 and then stuck them in the bracket as follows:
    even seeds started from 1-4; odd seeds, 4-1. So the fourth best 2 seed (Corona) and the best 3 seed (Guinness) is in with Bud Light, which is the overall No. 1.
    So yeah, I notice all those are grouped together...but that's the way the cookie crumbles...or beer is spilled...I guess.
    I didn't want to put that much thought into it after that. After all, we were drunk... :)

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Ah touche

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/3009988/

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I knew I liked you for a reason.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. spikechiquet

Bah! Mine's better...lol

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Turbodog coach F. Bastard railed at the snub, vowing "We'll play any beer, anytime, anywhere."

12. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I don't see any 12s beating a 5. That's just me, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted