1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bed-buying advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Jan 1, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The other thing is to watch out for the mismatch sales -- when they're selling off mattresses and box springs that don't match. You can get a really good mattress for fairly cheap, and all because they ran out of box springs in the matching fabric.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Just don't do what my co-worker at my previous job did. The poor little guy was so hopeless that he bought a twin bed after he graduated from college. He knew right from the start that he would never be sharing it with anyone.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Or ... your significant other can work for a furniture manufacturer.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Thank you, again. Any question I have, you folks seem to have the answers.

5. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

brad pitt had this advice in esquire. i thought it was intersting, because, well he can afford to buy/do whatever he wants.
    basically, he said he just buys a firm mattress, nothing fancy and tricked out. but then he puts one of those memory foam pads on top of it. he said he guarantees the best night of sleep you've ever had.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've been considering a Sleep Number bed. If it doesn't show the number, is it adjustable, or does it just have notches or something?

7. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

When I was in your position, I bought a matress at IKEA. Cheap, but actually pretty dang good. Worth looking at.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Basically, you have a pair of inflatable bags inside of some foam, inside of a zip-up cover. You use the controller to increase or decrease the firmness level. The higher the "number," the more firm the mattress will feel.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I have a 5,000 model King Size Sleep Number bed. It might be why my wife and I are on speaking terms. I have noticed a difference in the quality of my sleep and my back does feel much better. Select Number has factory outlet sales, which is where I got mine. Best 1,700 I've spent in a long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted