1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bed as a litter box

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SportsHack1818, Dec 26, 2008.

1. OK, question for all the cat owners out there.

I was putting Christmas presents away in the kids' room today, noticed my four-month old kitten was acting funny. Looked closer, and noticed she was pissing right in the middle of my daughter's bed, on a sleeping bag that my daughter likes to sleep in.

Upon further inspection, noticed that the blanket under the sleeping bag smelled like cat piss, and after removing the blanket, saw a nice big stain on the mattress. In other words, this wasn't a one-time event.

My question is this ... what should I wash the blanket and sleeping bag in to get rid of the odor? I washed the blanket tonight in just regular laundry detergent, but a whiff of it is still there.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Any home remedies out there? Or do I just need to keep running it through the regular cycle until the scent is gone?

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Febreze makes an odor remover that works well (not just the generic Febreze stuff - there is a specific odor version).

You can also try vinegar.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

:eek: :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

sorry to inform, but irrecoverable. gone. we have 2 current cats, and 6 in our past and what's done is done. one of our currents let loose in my daughter's sports bag, and recently despite baking soda, some Hartz expensive spray stuff and basic soap and etc; we came home from a long sports trip and opened the trunk of the car and there it was, the odor, not overwhelming, but it was there. and never going away...unless you cover it up with a worse smell. just get some new beddings.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

Go take a shit in the cats litter box.

That'll teach the little bastard.

7. Well, the blanket was of the homemade variety, so I'd like to avoid pitching it if at all possible.

As for the sleeping bag, my little girl is 5, so she is attached to it. Maybe I can find the exact one and just replace it, but I am not so sure.

My fear, too, is what's done is done. I've had cats do a number on some stuff before ... but never had one that decided to do its business in the middle of the bed. Oh, to get in the cat's head and figured out why she thought that was a good idea.

8. And PC, just add vinegar to the wash?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Amen...

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

There is a product called Nature's Miracle. You can buy it at Petsmart or other pets supply store. It has worked well for us in the rare events our cats have gone outside the litter boxes.

11. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

Billy Mays says Oxi Clean will eliminate all piss odors, instantly!

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, add about a cup of white vinegar during the wash cycle. Wash in cold.

Any chance you just pissed off the cat? We had one years ago that would get angry with us and would do something like this to get even. I made her mad once and she took a shit and hid it under my pillow. I was equal parts freaked out, disgusted, and really impressed.

Draft saved Draft deleted