1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Becoming part of the story -- out of nowhere edition

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by farmerjerome, Dec 15, 2009.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Foul-ball stories are scary.

Some of you might remember Jeff Allison, a first-round draft pick of the Marlin.

He went to the high school I taught at and that my daughter attended.

We were on the first-base side, behind the bench on a little hill. No fence of anything.

This kid was throwing in the 90s, and an opposing batter lined a shot foul that just missed my daughter and missed me by a touch more. I swear, it might have killed her.

If you remember the kid, you remember he wound up getting addicted ot Oxycodine, then heroin. I know he's tried a comback but unsure where that stands.

If this is the game I was thinking of, he had a perfect game into the sixth until he shook off his catcher, ala "Bull Durham," and the batter lined a single into left field. I think the coach had actually signaled the catcher with the pitch.

The catcher, one of my National Honor Society kids, went on to play at UMass for four years. He had a great college career.

Rambling, I know.

Draft saved Draft deleted