1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Becoming Mayor at 26 makes you go...I RULE!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Oct 3, 2007.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Our boy Wlat is unemployed, kinda like I hope Ravenstahl is come January.

2. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

This story was hilarious. How did this kid end up as mayor if he was this un-savvy?

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Like we said, the previous mayor died in office, and he was head of City Council.

4. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

I know that, I read the thread ... but usually even making it to City Council in a major city requires a decent level of sophistication unless you're backed by some sort of local political machine (which I doubt this kid is).

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Well, he's a Dem.
    In this town, that means everything.

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

"I think the fact that I'm 27 is something the city should embrace and it's something that I've embraced."

He sounds like the kind of guy (child) who would say he's 27 1/2 or 27 3/4 when you ask him how old he is.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

He's a young Buddy Cianci.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think he was the option that both sides of the political fence could tolerate....and that people thought they could control.

I still remember watching the kid play football and basketball at North Catholic High School, so this all strikes me as strange.

9. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

He'll win the re-election in November simply because he's a Democrat. No way a Republican will win Mayor in this town.
    He definitely has made some mis-steps, but I still think he'll win.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yea, my brother played basketball against him in grade school and high school so it's very strange for me as well.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Bringing this back from the dead, since he did win:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07310/831679-100.stm

Luke Ravenstahl fended off a challenge from Republican businessman Mark DeSantis to serve the final two years of the late Mayor Bob O'Connor's term. Despite an aggressive campaign by DeSantis, Ravenstahl easily won in a city that hasn't elected a Republican since the Great Depression.

O'Connor had been in office just eight months when he died last year of a brain tumor. As City Council president, Ravenstahl was next in line to temporarily fill the seat.

Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato said Ravenstahl was on the verge of "a solid victory."

With 87 percent of precincts reporting, Ravenstahl had 39,654 votes, or 64 percent, compared with DeSantis' 21,092 votes, or 34 percent.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Somewhere on the SJ board, Fen is smiling. A Dem didn't lose Pittsburgh City Hall.

Draft saved Draft deleted